My clutch seems to be slipping, It was fitted about 5000 miles ago.

I have an oil leak from the crank seal on the gearbox side coud this be the reason why my clutch has started slipping Is it possible for oil to get on the clutch if the crank seal on the gearbox side is leaking?

Yes Absolutely!

Oil is a lubricant, you dont want to lube a service that needs to grip!

It will have contiminated the clutch plate now...

So New Seal, De-Grease and new clutch im afraid!

Cheers mate,

Just been quoted £62 for a 3 piece excedy clutch. I already got a crank seal lying around somwhere and some brake/clutch cleaner....can anyone guess what il be up to this weekend....lol

The oil leak needs to be really really bad from the crank seal clutch side to get to the clutch as it has a flywheel in the way, it's more likely the rocker gasket leaking on that side making its way through the gearbox and on to the clutch or the gearbox its self, unless the person who fitted your clutch took the flywheel off? and didnt reseal the bolts and it's coming through the tread or maybe your clutch pressure plate is just fubard, which does happen and it's just you crank seal is leaking at the Same time.

The oil leak needs to be really really bad from the crank seal clutch side to get to the clutch as it has a flywheel in the way, it's more likely the rocker gasket leaking on that side making its way through the gearbox and on to the clutch or the gearbox its self, unless the person who fitted your clutch took the flywheel off? and didnt reseal the bolts and it's coming through the tread or maybe your clutch pressure plate is just fubard, which does happen and it's just you crank seal is leaking at the Same time.

Its definatly not the rocker cover gasket/dizzy or head related i had a proper look yesterday

Thanx anyway

Yes the only thing that will be knackered is thefriction plate which uses a similar material to brake pade which is absorbant. If you want to try and save more money when u take the friction plate out if the surface appears oily you can rub it down with a bit of emery paper and if the oilyness doesnt come back and it stays dry and dusty then its ok to use.

Edited by StuDoc 72