Ngk iridium, pre-gapped?, edit: pop/bang on boost, help?

Running rich mate not lean, rich ain't gonna melt a piston surely?

It's just the edge of the threads black not the centre bit

As for the timing, the jam ecu advances the timing anyway so surely it's gonna be more than the 10 now or will it not show up with the timing light if its being altered ecu side?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently according to a google search too small gaps can cause missing? I just wanna sort this bang out lol

Amjad, yeah I'd guess so but the reason I left it is I didn't want the jam to advance it too much? But I guess the timing is mapped to the fuelling on them? I just wanna so everything to stop the abnormal backfiring

Edited by A L 3 X

Yeah I think so, will do that and widen the plug gaps i think as some people are saying 0.6 standard, and 1.1 for modded, others saying 0.8 to 0.9 for 1 bar boost, and the general concensus is wider is better without spark blow out so i reckon 0.9mm should be ok?

One question, when checking timing with the timing gun, when you paint the marks white are they just for reference, or do they affect how the light shines at it, as i may have painted the marks slightly out, but i was looking against where the actual marks were on the casing when checking.

Running rich will melt a piston, hence why you run rich on start up because it warms the engine up faster. I've also done it as an experiment to look at the piston material structure after it has melted.

A spark plug should not be full of carbon after 100 miles of driving. A small amount of black deposits is normal.

Your all getting the ignition timing wrong!

The ecu has an ignition advance feature, this is not STATIC it is dynamic. The ignition advances depending on the parameters it sees from the sensors. The STATIC ignition advance for this engine is 10 degrees BTDC. Changing the ecu will make no difference what so ever!

Okay I will check the ignition timing with the jam ecu in then if it makes no difference.

It should only be running as rich as any other p n p ecu, and they aren't massively black just a small carbon deposit around the base of the threads ill upload a pic.

Mike, good idea actually, could you pm me a price and the soonest you could check it?

84265759-837E-4437-A0F0-C5E51DBC110F-6905-000004DFCB3604D7_zps37db17f4.jpg

After about 80 kilometres

Looks fine mate, thats carbon build up from combustion. If it was fuelling related it would be a wet look. I would say you either have the ignition timing not setup correctly or the spark plug gaps. It would now seem a problem is more obvious since the ecu is more aggressive with its fuelling and ignition timing.

Ah cool, ignition timing was slightly out, have set that and gapped the plugs at 0.9 as weirdly after checking with a new gauge set one was 0.6, the other 0.7, other 0.75 and I can't remember the last but they're all a nice equal 0.9

Just need to make some det cans tomorrow, find someone with a wideband and hope that's all ok

Checked cam timing as well, spot on an cam gears are aligned perfectly together also

I run a RRFPR with my JAM Ecu...

Have you tried bringing the boost down to 0.7?

Any reason why? I hear that's not a good idea and they confuse it?

Boost at 0.8 on the old ecu did the same thing once or twice I'm sure, that was with old plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm however

Well the plugs been different gaps wont of been helping things thats for sure lol

Glad you thought of getting them checking :) Lets hope everything is sorted now and its fueling fine on the wideband!

Yeah 0.8bar of boost is fine on a stock ecu :) anything above that then you hit fuel cut

Edited by micky boy

Well i've never ran a rrfpr on any glanza i've owned and they have more or less been the same set up! never had one problem with mine and all of my old glanzas are still going strong to this day

iamlegand's Bro owns my old sliver glanza and thats been running 1bar of boost on a P&P for 4years or so and its still going strong!

Fair enough i know every car runs slightly different but if thats the case the ECU will work out the best way to fuel your engine so to speak!

Also tbh i havent took my new glanza to a RR to make sure im fueling ok (my own risk) but i have been boosting 1.1bar for 6months with out a problem if i was running lean ect im sure the engine would of gone pop by now!!!!

Edit ohh and im still running the stock fuel pump by the way!

Edited by micky boy

Ah cool, ignition timing was slightly out, have set that and gapped the plugs at 0.9 as weirdly after checking with a new gauge set one was 0.6, the other 0.7, other 0.75 and I can't remember the last but they're all a nice equal 0.9

Just need to make some det cans tomorrow, find someone with a wideband and hope that's all ok

Checked cam timing as well, spot on an cam gears are aligned perfectly together also

Good to hear its just a bit of time its cost you mate. Let us know how you get on/ if the car feels better now :)