head leaking water into oil.

Dave. Get your head skimmed, get a new gasket and head bolts.

Anyone who says otherwise is talking pish its not worth the hassle trying to re-use this kinda stuff. I assumed you had already had all this done or i woulda said in the 1st place. If you dont know where to get it skimmed ill show you a place in dton ive have 100s of head done there.

much we talkin for gettin the head skimmed stu. didnt know there was a place in dton that does it was lookin at newmarket engineering in stirling lol. aye a think i am goin tae get it skimmed, new gasket & head bolts.

Getting the head skimmed is not compulsory, as long as it is straight then it will be fine. No need to get taking material off which doesn't need to come off. Its harder to put material on than it is to take off.

That said, it is advised to atleast get it checked, if its going to a machine shop to be checked, may as well get it skimmed for the sake of like 20 quid.

The head bolts are TTY, do NOT re-use them! Once they have been torqued they would have gone past their elastic limit, next time you use them they will NOT provide sufficient clamping force and you may even end up snapping the head off the bolt whilst torquing.

ARP bolts on the other hand can be re-used, but need to be checked for stretch.

cheers adam that clears up. been doin my homework today and i've sorced a new gasket, heads getting skimmed (£30) and il get onto idrees for new head bolts. job done!! I HOPE lol. ;)

Edited by daveEP

Glad to see it wasn't a major problem mate. As for newmarket they guys do top notch work, my work and a few other garages in the area send all engineering work up to them with no issues.

My 4e block and crank will be getting sent up to them at some point too.

yeh mate been told there good at what they do. :) a managed to get a company down this way to skim the head witch is not to bad. cant see it happning again once thats been done along with the new head bolts and gasket. :)