Quaiffe diff stuck in my gearbox, how to get it out?

My gearbox is on its last legs still from last year and its crunching in 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th and also if i hammer it for some reason the box tightens up and 1st and 2nd are very difficult to disengage. I dont care about the box, but what i do care about is the Quaiffe LSD that is inside it.

I have had the box out but the CV cups are what is causing the problem, one side came out no problem, but the other is totally refusing to come out. Now normally these should be a piece of piss to get off, especially with the box on the bench, but it just refuses to pop out. I have tried baring it off, wedging it off, whacking it with a hammer, beating it with a hammer, kicking the holy shit out of it and also I have tried a metal rod from the other side of the diff (where the hole is) and try and smash it out from the other side, Nothing works, i have even put the CUP in a 5ton press to try and get it out and still it remains firmly stuck in place.

Its completely doing my head in, i have another box ready to go but its useless without me getting my diff out, I paid over £700 for that fucking thing!!!!

Where is grant when i need him!!!

Any suggestions, I am willing to completely destroy the box, just as long as i get my precious!!!!

Edited by Taggy

Hmmmm, it should only be held in with the c-clip which is probably well fucked. Unless the driveshaft went in the splines not aligned, but i doubt it.

Have you tried a gear puller on it ? If you can get the legs to fit under the lip of the cup without them sliding out, could be worth a shot.

Are you sure the diff is not sat on an angle in your gearbox? As i know some diff need shimming! Could be why the shaft isnt comeing out! just a thought

If you could get someone to wiggle the cup why you give it a good old smash with a hammer from other side of the gearbox it might come

If you cut it out the shaft is still going to be left inside the diff and will be alot hard to get out as you wont have nothing to hit1

Edit but then again if you did cut it you can still hit it from the other side of the diff

Edited by micky boy

I have the exact same problem with mine, the only difference is that my box is a good one and I don't want to destroy it, I just need to get the inner CV out.

I've taken out dozens before but this one is absolutely stuck in. Tried everything under the sun but it won't budge. This box has a Quaiffe diff too.

Dave had one like this it's to do with the grove for the c-clip being machined too deep, sure they ended up cutting the cup off to get the diff out then i'm not sure what he did. i think they took the diff apart but might have taken it to Quaife themselves.

Im not 100% if this will work but...

Bit of a long winded way to go about it but remove 5th gear and all the gubbings then unbolt the bell housing like you normally would then all the box with shafts and gears will come out (or should i say the main casing will come away from the bell housing with the gears attached to that instead) Not particularly useful but atleast the diff will also be exposed.

Then maybe you can get the diff out that way?

Maybe someone can clarify if this will actually work aswel? Lol

Although thinking about it surely if you just take the box apart the normal way it would be easier and just leave the diff sitting either on the normal half or stuck on the bell housing side depending on which shaft is stuck in :/

Edited by morgey

Its a complete bitch, I will just have to keep at it. The problem is the box works ok, but i am not sure for how long particularly on track, so bit of a gamble! If i figure it out i will post up!

I have the exact same problem with mine, the only difference is that my box is a good one and I don't want to destroy it, I just need to get the inner CV out.

I've taken out dozens before but this one is absolutely stuck in. Tried everything under the sun but it won't budge. This box has a Quaiffe diff too.