squeaky belt problem!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!

hi, this sounds strange but if i have my lights on and say the heater at the same time then starlet squeaks like mad i think it must be something to do wi the altanator because its only when am using the electrics she squeaks. I've had a couple of ma mechanic mates look but they cant find a diagnosis can some1 help me, (its getting really embarrassing driving through town)

Cheers, Dale

Change the belt they are only a few quid, it's probally a bit loose and when you put the extra load on the alternator it's making it slip. The only other thing it could be is the bearings in the alternator itself but you would usualy hear them all the time.

mine used to do it belts loose,if its new its probably stretched a little as they do better to tighten it as it constantly squealing will cause it to snap and you dont want that as it runs the water pump too if i remember rightly

Hi

My daughters Starlet has had similar symptoms for a month or so, it only squeals when accelerating from low revs with the heated rear window and lights on.

Thought it was the fanbelt, but found that the squeal is coming from the crankshaft pulley (harmonic balancer). The outer circumference of the pulley is separated from the inner by a thin rubber strip

The bond between them has broken so the outer can slip on the inner when the alternator is loaded.

Replacing the pulley doesn't look too difficult assuming it comes off ok, but have had no luck finding a replacement so far.

Hope this helps with your problem, be great if anyone can advise on best (cheapest!) place to get a replacement

Thanks

Dave

Mine doesnt squeek when my cars heating up (above 900rpm) but as soon as the car settles after 10 mins or so it squeeks on tick over. Goes a little worse when using electrics, mainly because the revs drop off a tiny bit. Done it even since ive owned it so never really bothered me.

the main thing annoys me is the very bad knocking noise that sounds like my bottom end but you cant hear it when outside the car? Explain that one

Haven't been able to get hold of a new crankshaft pulley but took the old one off this morning and rebonded the rubber vibration dampening strip to the pulley inner part. Runs quiet now with no hint of a squeal.

Think there must be a few Starlets running around with the same fault - the squeal is annoying, but it didn't look like it was going to fail any time soon

Knocking noise could be related - bit of a long shot, but the pulley runs very close to the timing belt cover, maybe it could become loose enough to rattle against it?

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue yet im running a lightweight bottom pulley, i find a squirt of wd shuts it up for a few days but im putting it down to it being so cold. its a new gates belt and has been on since about july, retightened to 1/4 of a turn, im just finding myself having to turn all electrics off apart from lights before i start engine braking.

I have heard there is an aerosol that prevents belts from slipping