Stuck coilover! HELP! :( SOLVED OH YEAH!

So I have cusco zero-2r coilies, and the left front height adjustment is STUCK. So f**king stuck that I don't any more know what to do.

cusco.jpg

So that lower mount is the part I should be able to move to adjust height. I can get the locking ring easily open and loose, but the mount itself doesn't move at all. I've tried soaking it in CRC, WD40, brake cleaner and fuel oil (for 1,5 weeks). I've also tried heating it up and and some quite brutal force, but still nothing!

Any more advice what to do, I want to lower it a bit more so much! :(

Edited by whitestar

Did he have the lower mount or the locking ring(s) stuck? The shock body threads go like 10cm in to the lower mount, so it seems like an impossible task to get any kind of stuff in to the threads inside...

I might have to try the parafin or citric acid next. :/

Any more good tips?

To be fair putting it in lubricant is just sort of a 1st attempt.

Last option is the blow torch if that hasnt worked your pretty unlikely to get it.

Try the heat again, get it glowing, put the shocker in a vice and use a set of water pump pliers to turn the hub mount when its red hot.

Will also make it easier with the spring off anf shocker stripped right down.

Good Luck.

Edited by StuDoc 72

Hey

Thought i would give you some help here :p as shown in the thread above, mine were wedged on with years of dirt, rust what ever else you can think of :p

If i remember correctly you will have two collers, one on the top and one on the bottom, loosen both so that the main bottom part which normally bolts onto the car can be spun around.

Get your self a good vice, grip in the suspension part and then wedge some wood in between the mouth of where you would put the bolts in as not to bend it when you whack fuck out of it. Get the blow torch out, put some really good heat into the collar for a few minutes, its aluminium so should expand nicely over the steel thread.

Then get a hammer and give it a good old smack!! (anti clockwise of course!!)

I did the above with a small vice to start with and i couldnt hit it hard enough without it rotating slightly as it didnt get a good grip, hence use a big vice, once i did that it cracked open :)

hope it works for you.

Edited by Taggy
  • 4 weeks later...

Pardon my french but FFUUUUUUCK! 8o

hammer.jpg

Here's the setup we made. Some bolts and nuts and washers to hit on so I won't bend the bottom fixing. Heated it up quite hot, smacked the bolts fucking HARD, but no. I'm losing my patience already, and I am very patient person normally. :D

Although, some WD40/CRC/fuel oil shit started dripping out from the threads while heating it up, so something has gone into the threads, so that's a good thing. The stuff was all brown so obviously lots of rust inside.

Left it soaking in fuel oil again for another week...and try once again....ffffuuuuuu..

No joy on these right now! They're still left soaking, gonna smack the shit out of them next weekend. :D If not, then I guess I'll just have to keep the current ride heigth. :( Unless I accidentally blow the shock with torch. Then It must be shopping time for new coilies..? :nea: