A Very Popular Turbo!

Thats easier then you think to rebuild at home by yourself!

Here is a step by step guide on how to do it...

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/page/articles.html/_/engineandtuning/td04l-turbo-rebuild-guide-r38

These turbos go for £30-60 on ebay and the rebuild kits are sub £45 on ebay too.

What have you got to loose? :D

Hope someone will make use of it!

The turbin shaft is already balanced with the compressor blade so theres no need to rebalance them unless you start change things like the compressor blades then the weight will change on the shaft so it will need balancing!

Nice find Matt this will come in handy for alot of people

Edited by micky boy

The turbin shaft is already balanced with the compressor blade so theres no need to rebalance them unless you start change things like the compressor blades then the weight will change on the shaft so it will need balancing!

Nice find Matt this will come in handy for alot of people

I'd beg to differ. We balance 100's of turbo's a year. NOT ONE ever has been within tolerance, infact, most are out by 10 x the amount we want to see.

The turbo's have usually worn as a direct result of been out of balance. There are also other things to mention. Shaft wear, housing wear. All the kits you buy come with standard size bearings. Its a waste of time and money if your not going to do it correctly.

I'd beg to differ. We balance 100's of turbo's a year. NOT ONE ever has been within tolerance, infact, most are out by 10 x the amount we want to see.

The turbo's have usually worn as a direct result of been out of balance. There are also other things to mention. Shaft wear, housing wear. All the kits you buy come with standard size bearings. Its a waste of time and money if your not going to do it correctly.

Yeah i agree some what! I have rebuilt a few turbos over the years! And found even though i have fitted new bearings etc they was still abit of shaft play due to the turbin shaft haveing alittle wear along with the caseing! Also some turbos i have rebuilt havent had any shaft play what so ever but when takeing them apart and cleaning the carbon from around the turbin piston ring and the housing etc when putting it back together the shaft had alittle play where befor i took it apart it didnt have any at all! The carbon built up froms a little lip if you like on the shaft/housing and when you clean/remove that carbon thats when it gives that few mm of play as im sure you already know!

It is always best to get the balancing checked after all you dont want that turbo going tits up on a newly forged engine or any engine infact!

Ricky is right. Re building the turbo is pointless if your not going to balance it. If you don't do it right it will only bite you at a later date,

Yes it is the same as marking a tyre up when you remove it.......but that also is wrong and a waste of time. Do it with the tyre and I garuntee when you put it on a balancer it wont be balanced.

Im not trying to be a prick or rain on your parade and by all means with a turbo like TD04 which is so cheap and easily avialable give it a go as you've nothing to lose worst case scenario you will just need a new one.

But with anything more expensive dont even consider it.

Edited by StuDoc 72