Rounded off a bolt!

I was attempting to remove the air conditioning pump tonight when i rounded off this bolt (picture is not my car)

P3170025.jpg

It holds the power steering in place when tensioning. Covered it in wd40 before i even attempted it because i sheered a bolt last week that holds on the splash guard in place. There isn't enough room to get a socket on it, had to use a spanner and its completely fucked now. Absolute nightmare!

The only options i can see are drilling it (no room for a drill so would have to lift the engine out, not really an option)

or perhaps cutting around it to get it off and getting a new/used power steering pump.

Fuck knows how im going to fix it but i'll need it removed for when i want to fit my front mount

Didn't you use a round end spanner?

Failing that find a spanner a size or 2 smaller and literally smash it the fuck on there with a hammer til the bolt is properly sitting inside the open end of the spanner.

That's what id do anything, other than cry for a bit first as always when something goes wrong with cars lol.

edit - or try undo the nut on the other side lol?

its welded on at the other side :sad:

I should have took some pictures

Didn't you use a round end spanner?

Failing that find a spanner a size or 2 smaller and literally smash it the fuck on there with a hammer til the bolt is properly sitting inside the open end of the spanner.

That's what id do anything, other than cry for a bit first as always when something goes wrong with cars lol.

I used the round end of the spanner and just made it worse so its now impossible to get grip. I'll try a smaller size tomorrow. Problem is its just in such a small area its hard to get any leverage/use a hammer on it. Im swapping out my radiator soon so that might free up some space.

In the mean time i'll just cry :sad: lol!

Edited by Patches

I've bodged a boot out like that before by cutting a slot in it, grabbing a chisel and smashing the fuck out of it until it came undone.

EDIT: Bolt. That green beret made me think boot.

Edited by Addymk2

If your removing the AC burn the shit out of the bolt with a blow torch then get some mole grips on it.

If your refitting the AC after burn the shit out of it a bit more carefully :p

Just noticed its the PS but yea same applies!

Edited by RandomDan