Good bodyshop in glasgow

Aye if hes stripping it back to the hills then fair doos. Id also be wanting him to sand it right back to almost metal for that price tbh. I would expect nothing other than absolute perfection at the cost along with a warranty.

Paint costs about £50 so thats £1450 labour so well over 20 hours. Which is way more than enough in a body shop to strip sand paint and cook.

Also does he have an oven then?

Its alot more than £50 for paint now, by law body shops have to use water based paint witch is alot more expensive, also u have to pay for all the materials, primer, booth time, lacquer ect ect also to do the job properly it takes alot longer than 20 hours

As far as the going rate goes it may be a fair price.

BUT painting a car is 1 of the biggest rip off proffessions going for the amount of work actually involved.

I could strip a starlet down for painting in 2 hours probably so you think they spend 15 hours on prep? I highly doubt it.

How is it a rip off? mechanics round my way charge up to £100 an hour where body shops are around £35.

Have u ever tried to strip and prep a car for painting properly? its hard work, why would 15 hours be to long to prep? having alook around the car for dents, rust, scraps ect, fixing all the above, rubbing down the whole car properly, masking up for primer, priming, baking the car, rubbing the primer, masking up again, then painting, then lacquering, baking the car then rubbing the whole car down again them machine polished the whole car and waxing, i could guarantee u couldnt do that in 15 hours.

The price they charge does not reflect the work they do either.

Painting requires a substantially less amount of training/qualifications than becoming a mechanic its also not technically difficult. In the case of spraying practice is the only way to become good there is very little theory other than learning which paints and primer to use on surfaces. Yet they still charge significantly more than a mechanic or even a painter of any other sorts tbf.

I garuntee if some 1 with a tatty glanza got a quote and had the work done and was charged £1500 for his and then I took mine in for the same and went back they wouldn't turn round and go mate your car was really clean and straight so its gna cost £1200 after all not £1500 as we didnt needa spend 5 hours beating and filling yours.

They charge you as a whole not in hours which is why its a rip off. Why should i pay the same that someone with a shed of a car pays?

Why does the price not reflect the work we do? a mechanic (no offence to mechanics just using this as an example) now a days pugs the car into a computer and it tells them whats wrong with a car and charges u £100 for 5 mins work

the training/ qualifications are just the same as a mechanic, level 3 city & guilds, so why is it less?

also body shops charge by hour not as a whole. if a mechanic was working on your car for 30 hours, he's gona charge u 30 hours, its not a rip off its just a body shop charging there hourly rate, just like every other body shop/mechanic

By the way im not a painter.

Edited by Ryan-11

Nah mate had better things to do on a Friday night than to sit on here an type out essays.

As for your questions how is it as rip off? £100 an hour behave yourself those are dealership prices compared to £35 an hour clearly small bodyshop prices. Selective use of facts.

As for have I prepped a whole car. No I haven't I've prepped individual panels and thats without experience and without the correct tools or a shop to work in. So I imagine with years of experience and pneumatic tools that aye that would be managed.

As I said plug in computer to tell them whats wrong your just embarrassing yourself with comments like that plucked out the sky also using dealership prices £100 if you go to a local garage they will charge you £20-£30 to check codes either that or your getting bumped.

They are both level 3 what relevance does that have just means they have the same standard in their specific field. You can achieve a degree in teaching in almost half the time you can for law......so does that mean that becoming a lawyer is as easy as becoming a teacher?? Not a chance.

And your not a painter.Just choose to refer to them as we.

Nah mate had better things to do on a Friday night than to sit on here an type out essays.

As for your questions how is it as rip off? £100 an hour behave yourself those are dealership prices compared to £35 an hour clearly small bodyshop prices. Selective use of facts.

As for have I prepped a whole car. No I haven't I've prepped individual panels and thats without experience and without the correct tools or a shop to work in. So I imagine with years of experience and pneumatic tools that aye that would be managed.

As I said plug in computer to tell them whats wrong your just embarrassing yourself with comments like that plucked out the sky also using dealership prices £100 if you go to a local garage they will charge you £20-£30 to check codes either that or your getting bumped.

They are both level 3 what relevance does that have just means they have the same standard in their specific field. You can achieve a degree in teaching in almost half the time you can for law......so does that mean that becoming a lawyer is as easy as becoming a teacher?? Not a chance.

And your not a painter.Just choose to refer to them as we.

Fair enough i might of stated certain prices per hour but round my way all body shop charge less than mechanics do per hour, i work in a body shop i know to get a good job it takes longer than 20 hours,

I know for a fact that with newer cars, if theres something wrong with the engine a mechanic will plug it into a machine and it will tell them whats wrong, i know mechanics do alot more than that. i was just having a dig because u were having a dig at painters.

You say painting is just " learning which paints and primer to use on surfaces" then whats mechanics? learning what bolt to take out?

Its not just painters that work in body shops.

scottish meet should be fun :)

How lol?

Fair enough i might of stated certain prices per hour but round my way all body shop charge less than mechanics do per hour, i work in a body shop i know to get a good job it takes longer than 20 hours,

I know for a fact that with newer cars, if theres something wrong with the engine a mechanic will plug it into a machine and it will tell them whats wrong, i know mechanics do alot more than that. i was just having a dig because u were having a dig at painters.

You say painting is just " learning which paints and primer to use on surfaces" then whats mechanics? learning what bolt to take out?

Its not just painters that work in body shops.

To be honest mate the OBD and diagnostic equipment is only really for lights on the dash like ABS, Airbags and EML and EML only comes on when the lambda sensor receives the wrong signal 4 times in a row so its only really for daft things like fuel air spark n exhaust.

It genuinely wasn't a dig I just truely beleive spray painters over charge for their work. Fair doos if they are doing the perfect job but lets be fair most places will cut corners. I've seen it myself thats exactly why people struggle and need these threads to find the genuinely good ones.

As for the whole learning thing. I meant with mechanics theres electrical science chemical science tons upon tons of theory its the only type of apprenticeship that is in that form.

Most others are all practice based. U dont see a decorator in doing dulux exams lol they just spend 4 years practicing and learning till they master it If you get what I mean.