i have a problem

glanza ownership is amazing but i thing ive done something ideotic,

after the wknds activitys i had a heafty treck to get home, petrol light on, pulled into then nearest station, a shitty jet garage with no super so poured in a fiver of 95ron unleaded,

everything was fine for a while, then

the car lost almost all of its power and sounded asif it was running on three cylinders(like a very ruff flat four sound), didnt sound healthy atall, sounded well weared,

limped to the nearest station with super, filled it up and initialy nothing improved, started and stoped the car on different ocasions so the ecu would pick up on the super unleaded and eventuealy its got better, the car idals normaly and pulls cleanly now but not all the time,

some times i go to boost it and its asif the engine hits a brick wall and and stays ant the same revs even thought all three boostlights are on, and starts making the same sounds again?

can anyone shed some light on whats wrong?

Sounds like your car doesn't like the cheap stuff!

Has your car been retuned for our lower crappy petrol? There's a big octane difference in average petrol in Japan and our premium stuff. Really a jap import should be running on Optimax AND octane booster but most ECUs can handle a couple of points difference to Optimax but premium, probably not.

I'd suggest putting some octane booster in the tank and take it easy for a while to see if it settles down.

try not too boost too much, if it's knocking and you're boosting you can knacker you engine.

do you think thats what its doing then "knocking"

is that the same as detonating?

Knocking/detonation are two names for the same thing. However it isn't the same sound as you're getting I don't think. Detonation sounds like an electrical crackling type noise.

It could be that the ECU is picking up on slight knock (because of the 95RON) and retarding the ignition. But that wouldn't sound like it's running on 3 cylinders, it would just feel like a lack of power.

More likely that it's your plugs, leads or distributer. Try spraying some WD40 into the ends of the leads to displace any dampness. Also try cleaning the distributer arm/contacts. It could also be running your tank near empty has picked up some crap from the bottom of the tank and clogged the fuel filter (but I think that's more unlikely)

If your car isn't getting up to temp (due to your knackered thermostat) then what'll be happening is that the radiator is constantly cooling the engine. You should watch with this as the ECU may be running on cold start and firing in extra fuel which could be causing borewash.

ie checked the plugs and the leads,

seams that there is white scoring on them so ill be after a new set,

but when speaking about plugs, which ones are the best, and what heat range do i go for?

go for heat range 8 spark plugs.

always use optimax! standard fuel in japan is 100ron, dont know what their high performance fuel is, if your car was run on high performance fuel there (could be 103ron or something) then a drop to 95 wouldn't be the best thing to do. should ideally carry a bottle of octane booster for emergencies like that, but it should be fine once you get it out of the tank and to the good stuff.

I don't recon it's knocking, pinging or none of the sort, cause I run 11PSI and spool quick as fuck on my shit gas here and don't experience any of those things :S I believe it may be the Plugs or PLug leads, altern if you notice putting in different gas helps , could also be your fuel filter.

ive checked the plugs and leads,

fual filer also looks brand new too

i serviced her just after i got it

always put super in it then this one tie i put shitty fual in and tryed to rag the tits off it,

thats when it started to happen

so only super now

its all but gona away now so i dont know what it was,

didnt sound healthy though