Rear Strut Without Trimming / The Great Strut Debate

if you have proof a welded one is inferior than a pivot end one lets have a look see......doesnt matter what brand it has on it a shite product is a shite product

there is a reason why nearly all OEM designed strut brace are solid (when made under the supervision of an engineer), a pivot end on a strut brace is useless.....also they are made of aluminium which is a piss poor choice in bracing when you could use steel to provide much more rigidity....think roll cages

The hollow tube thing doesn't matter a jot, a strut brace under goes compression and extension. You try and compress a hollow tube, its not going to happen.

The bolted ends i can understand but if its got l big enough bolts that can be done up tight enough and sturdy mounts It will be fine.

Ie the Trd brace.

I would say you'd get more flex from the thin folded sheet metal at either end of the Oem brace than some of the other ones with the triangle shaped mounting points. After all triangle are one of the strongest shapes going :p

With the same amount of material used a hollow tube will always be stronger and less resistant to flex until compromised. (Dented etc)

I could of swore that my old ultra racing strut brace was hollow for that reason. Look at a straw for example compared to a plastic stick. A skinny stick (i.e a cable tie) will flex like fudge but a straw will stay rigid until you've applied enough pressure to cause it to kink.

Solid ends however make sense. Like the ultra racing ones!

Edited by Addymk2

solid/welded ends = far superior

as for the hollow/solid tube thing, if they both have the same outside diameter the solid bar wins, quick copy and paste:

"for equal outer diameter,then hollow bar is less stronger than a solid bar for bending moment as well as tension and compression.moment of inertia of hollow bar is less than solid bar .so solid bar can take more bending moment.and area of solid bar is more than hollow bar. so solid bar can resist more tension and compression than hollow bar"

when looking at structural stiffness.....basically comes down to, you`ll need more of a hollow bar to equal the strength of a solid bar....when looking at a arb for example 24mm for a solid one versus a 30mm hollow one

solid/welded ends = far superior

as for the hollow/solid tube thing, if they both have the same outside diameter the solid bar wins, quick copy and paste:

"for equal outer diameter,then hollow bar is less stronger than a solid bar for bending moment as well as tension and compression.moment of inertia of hollow bar is less than solid bar .so solid bar can take more bending moment.and area of solid bar is more than hollow bar. so solid bar can resist more tension and compression than hollow bar"

when looking at structural stiffness.....basically comes down to, you`ll need more of a hollow bar to equal the strength of a solid bar....when looking at a arb for example 24mm for a solid one versus a 30mm hollow one

Solid/Welded ends I agree with wholeheartedly. Never seen the point of flexible ends tbh, they look pretty but theyre not stiff.

http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-37701.html says

"Most of the strength of a cylinder comes from the outer portions. I think the contribution goes like the cube of the radial position. So, if you took a solid rod and drilled out a half the volume from the center, you do not lose half the strength. Strength to weight ratio is better for a hollow pipe than a solid rod."

A solid steel bar wide enough to use as a strut brace would weigh a tonne. A lot of roll cages are hollow aswell. The weight/strength argument in regards to a strut brace is already proven. The OEM braces are hollow, the Ultra Racing braces I ran on my Levin and Altezza were hollow. Stiff enough without weighing a bomb.

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/12913/hollow-tube-stronger-than-solid-bar-of-same-outside-diameter-o-d - Says:

'This means a hollow cylinder is stronger than a rod of equal mass and the same material. A hollow cylinder with a bigger inside diameter is better. In the limit x1 the hollow cylinder is twice as strong. Note that this limit isn't physically viable as it would be an cylinder with infinite radius and infinitesimally thin wall. However it is useful to define the upper limit of the second moment of inertia. I didn't expect the increase in strength only a factor of two.'

I need to know this shit for work :p

so your first reference says, hollow has a better strength to weight no arguing there....steel weighs more....but back to which is stronger :D

and the second one says, "a hollow cylinder is stronger than a rod of equal mass and the same material".....which is saying a 100g aluminium hollow tube is the same strength as a 100g solid tube of aluminium......how big would the hollow tube need to be before this is so? MASSIVE!!

going back to the point i made earlier you would need alot more to make up for the strength, isnt it better just to find a solid one?

Just so everyone knows. I bought an Ultra Racing strut.

Im wondering if i should change the thread name to something more related to how to topic went.

LOL I enjoyed this thread, more interesting than the usual: 'Can dis seet fit in my car?' or 'Will these et90 18' x 12' fit without any arch work?'

Let us know if it's hollow or solid :p

I'd get one made or buy a your/zisco one at a push

Totally agree nice to see some in depth technical chat going on, something this site has always lacked....just people following like sheep and buying anything with a jdm tag

I'd get one made or buy a your/zisco one at a push Totally agree nice to see some in depth technical chat going on, something this site has always lacked....just people following like sheep and buying anything with a jdm tag

All i really wanted to know was if i could get a bit better handling without having to wreck the trim.

I like it to look tidy. =]

And to be honest, i dont think it would matter if it were hollow or solid with the type of driving i generally do.

I'd get one made or buy a your/zisco one at a push

Totally agree nice to see some in depth technical chat going on, something this site has always lacked....just people following like sheep and buying anything with a jdm tag

Lmao!!! We have many tech chats on this forum, your talking about a hollow vs solid strut while others are talking about ingnition timing, port polishing and camless engines!! But to name a few of the recent topics.

Edited by shorty

See you didn't find anything to justify your jDm mop handle? Luls

Very technical info being thrown around hahaha...you took threads from the last couple of days what about before that?

I dont need to justifiey the construction o my "mop handle" as you call it, its structual benifits are both proven throughout themodding scene and from its effectiveness on the car. As for tech discussions use the search, the disscusions on shim clearenve, valve spring base pressures, polished cranks, 4paw gear ratios and final drive alterations, retro fitting of phantom grip lsd units, etc etc go back to the uksc days. But hey you think what ya like bud. You seem to be the tech orical of ukso :p

You know, a hollow strut brace is better because through the compressing powers the solid one would bend while the hollow one will distribute the force way better through it's body

You know, a hollow strut brace is better because through the compressing powers the solid one would bend while the hollow one will distribute the force way better through it's body

:-)