upgrading brakes?

Normally 275-280mm in 15's, and 295-300mm in 16's - applies to nearly all wheels.

There are the odd makes like Compomotive or Team Dynamics where they leave a bit more room and you can sometimes get 300mm inside a 15" for instance...or deeper (rear wheel drive) offset ones like TVR use where our 15" kit is a 300mm one.

• 3 weeks later...

imo dont skimp with your brakes dont try and get the cheaper option from another car whats been converted to fit , feel so much more comfortable with a big 4 pot set up , get your self over to keri at wms may seem a lot for "just a set of brakes" but there worth every penny !! nothing better then having the feeling of knowing you can stop if need be ;)

A lot of peeps run the 'other cars' brake option and they're fine. Depends on your funds.

x2

You don't need to spend a stupid amount. As much as everyone would like off the shelf upgrades, there a lot of other options out there for a lot less money

x2

You don't need to spend a stupid amount. As much as everyone would like off the shelf upgrades, there a lot of other options out there for a lot less money

x3

il be going for levin twin pots,think they will be up to the job,as many lads use them,cheap upgrade to

Ive got Ksport 6 pots 286mm? I've got fortran ssv wheels (JDM) and there is 1mm max gap between caliper, and wheels., people say they're an overkill, but I think they are one of the best things I've bought. 130mph into a corner at Donnington wasn't fun when I had NO brakes (cooked/cracked standard), now with the 6 pots they dont have any change in feel, or cook after a full track day!

If you're going to track it, spend the money on decent stuff, if its a fast road car/street, standard are ususally ok if all working right, decent discs and decent pads.

Edited by Jamie1st

or get evo 8 bremos,and get disc to suit and get custom made carriers

That won't be possible because there would be no pad touching the disc as the disc would be too small. Calipers are designed to work within a certain range of disc sizes.

You dont want brakes better than your tyres either.

Exactly this, if the tyres lock up then your overpowering the force the tyres can produce.

That won't be possible because there would be no pad touching the disc as the disc would be too small. Calipers are designed to work within a certain range of disc sizes.

Exactly this, if the tyres lock up then your overpowering the force the tyres can produce.

This is true, how ever it wasn't the stopping power that I found real poor on the Glanza's, its there ability to disperse heat. Its the reliability you get with bigger brakes, knowing they wont fade coming into a corner at 100+.

I could lock the wheels up with standard brakes (ABS fuse romoved, as starlets abs is too sensitive), but that doesnt mean the brakes are good enough. Will they still do that after a 15/20min session? The Kpsorts I can lock the front wheels up at 130mph quite easily, but when do you ever use 100% of the braking force? All about control and getting used to them. Ive not met anyone yet saying that there brakes are too good.

Also, you just have the discs machined to fit your hubs (Evo 8 ) you wouldnt use standard discs as they're as thick as some a4 paper lol

Edited by Jamie1st