Any high st. fitters/retailers sell better off the peg exhausts than others?

I'm not looking to use a new exhaust for power gains on my stock n/a car, but I would like to make sure I don't get a turkey exhaust system. I was planning to use a standard supply + fitting chain or local place rather than buy an exhaust separately and have it fitted, so i'm looking for a national place that sells good standard exhausts. Looks are not important, but if it did have a nice tail pipe then it would be a bonus :)

Not sure what sort of money it will be either for a full system? What should I look to pay?

Edited by dazstarlet

I'm not looking to use a new exhaust for power gains on my stock n/a car, but I would like to make sure I don't get a turkey exhaust system. I was planning to use a standard supply + fitting chain or local place rather than buy an exhaust separately and have it fitted, so i'm looking for a national place that sells good standard exhausts. Looks are not important, but if it did have a nice tail pipe then it would be a bonus :)

Not sure what sort of money it will be either for a full system? What should I look to pay?

Have a look on eBay mate, I picked up a Japspeed full stainless system for around £60.00, it will have to be modified to fit a N/A though. Shouldn't cost an arm and a leg though.

Have a look on eBay mate, I picked up a Japspeed full stainless system for around £60.00, it will have to be modified to fit a N/A though. Shouldn't cost an arm and a leg though.

£60 sounds like bargain for you for sure :) If this is the first new exhaust on the car (probably is I'd say), I take it it doesn't have to be be fitted with a cat as a pre-01 registered car? Assuming you can get non-cat exhausts these days....

yeah 92 for cats matey

also you said its an n/a? there are no off the shelf n/a exhausts that i know of bud. you'll have to get a custom one made

unless your just looking for a standard replacement part?

I was looking for a decent standard replacement - I guess it will have to be a Kwikfit type jobbie. I suppose they are all much the same as each other... I don't want to replace the CAT if I don't need to as they are silly money IMO.

These guys are local to me and are good in not ripping peeps off. This link takes you to their parts breakdown for a Starlet exhaust with costs.

http://www.bushtyres.co.uk/exhausts/search.htm?make=38&model=561&body=4&engine=132&year=2158&submit_button=Find+Exhausts

£246 for the cat! My car only cost £995! What parts on a 15 year old exhaust could need replacing more than others do you think? Gaskets and rubber mounts?

Edited by dazstarlet

Lad half those prices. Youd be mad to pay that money. New standard exhausts tend to last about two years before they rot. If your current exhaist is ok then just keep it as its made of much old fashionef quality steel. if it has a hole, get it welded if it swings about replace the bush. Keep your money

Go to MIJ in walsall if your anywhere in the midlands. Dirt cheap and a lifetime warranty, about £200 for a custom job

Hmmm, a quick Google shows there are a few horror stories around about the exhausts this lot have made up for people. I think I'll pass, but thanks anyway.

I've had 2 and they have been fine. Might be hit and miss! There warranties are faultless though if the exhaust is shit, a bracket snapped off one of mine from a big speed hump and they repaired it free of charge