how much power can a genuine toyota head gasket take ?

My standard one gave up at 233.4bhp well started to give up having Athena fitted soon :)

yours was most probs the orginal gasket from factory so has been on a few years so lasted very well. i havnt had no success with a athena yet.
Edited by mark-tozer

I've seen many forged 4e hitting 250+ on stock flange.

I've also seen head lifting due to stock headbolts and the stock gasket was still strong.

i take it when you say stock flange you mean head gasket thats good news to know ive got arp head bolts so sorted there.

i take it when you say stock flange you mean head gasket thats good news to know ive got arp head bolts so sorted there.

Exactly!

If i had to open my engine, i would used genuine toyota gasket and arp studs/bolts

i use athena never hand an issue, I've had cruise ones befor and didnt rate that tbh. contact athena if you realy think its the gasket as tbh if you are having sealing issues id be looking at weather the head or block isnt true. you have the head skimed? and has the block been checked it may need decking.

the stock genuine gasket can take a fair bit of abuse tbh. back in early 2001-2004 i was running several different turbos (td05, t3 , gt2876r etc) at 1.5-1.8bar boost and it never gave out. make sure the head/block is straight and use new oem bolts. arp's would do fine too. would always recommend a metal HG for a full build..but if your on a budget..you may be able to get by for the moment with your oem HG. we are using an athena on my car right now and dont seem to have any issues.

Exactly!

If i had to open my engine, i would used genuine toyota gasket and arp studs/bolts

thanks for info

i use athena never hand an issue, I've had cruise ones befor and didnt rate that tbh. contact athena if you realy think its the gasket as tbh if you are having sealing issues id be looking at weather the head or block isnt true. you have the head skimed? and has the block been checked it may need decking.

its got be the gasket as it was sealing fine before on a toyota genuine gasket. was your athena gasket the same as mine in the photo. im waiting for the company i bought the gasket off to contact athena.

I'm using a Cruise gasket.

is the oil way on the cruise like the genuine gasket or like the athena.

Fresh genuine Toyota gasket will be good for 1.4 bar on td04 for example imo there a good gasket for the money, depending on map ect

thanks for info i may end up trying one.

the stock genuine gasket can take a fair bit of abuse tbh. back in early 2001-2004 i was running several different turbos (td05, t3 , gt2876r etc) at 1.5-1.8bar boost and it never gave out. make sure the head/block is straight and use new oem bolts. arp's would do fine too. would always recommend a metal HG for a full build..but if your on a budget..you may be able to get by for the moment with your oem HG. we are using an athena on my car right now and dont seem to have any issues.

thanks for the info sounds like the genuine gasket is fairly strong so i can result to using a genuine gasket if i dont get any luck with the athena

Edited by mark-tozer