Missfire pulling away/under load UPDATE pics added

Just scanned the thread... Not sure why you thought to check your coolant hoses because of a slight misfire... pretty much always going to be fueling or ignition. But if your wideband is indicating that fueling is all good then pretty much going to be ignition. There is most likely moisture under your distributor cap, or the electrodes aren't contacting with the rotor arm very well. Clean it all up and get it dry. Remember electricity is lazy and will always take the shortest easiest route. So if you can see any electrodes in the distributor cap that are worn, then it may be in need of replacing.

Furthermore i would recommend checking your spark plug gaps.

As plugs wear, the gap increases meaning the ignition system has to work harder in order for the spark to jump the larger gap.

I just done a general check of the engine, levels, felt the hoses etc just as you do.

With the cap off theres clearly corrosion, not massively worn but I question the centre contact as I'm not sure entirely how they should look after a bit of use and if it could be causing the issue.

I'm going to clean the contacts up, I don't have any other tools here as there at my garage a town over, other than 8 and 10mm spanner so unfourtunately I cannot check the plugs but that is certainly something to consider.

My guess is that the fault lies between plugs/leads/cap/rotor/coil/igniter seeing as the missfire is not down to one cylinder it's a multiple cylinder and only slightly it's not your usual engine rocking scenario.

I think realistically it's got to be distributor, coil or igniter as it is spread across probably all cylinders.

Any thoughts comments? I could be completely wrong i'm not incredibly experienced at the moment I'm just trying to look at things with what I know and theoretical analysis

Edited by TurboTobz

I'm not gonna lie, I think your Dizzy cap is knackered.

Yeah? As I say I'm not clued up very well with them! I'm glad to hear I may have the fault sat beside me! Do you think it's knackered enough to be causing the missfire or just needs replacing?

Yes ^^ Theyre shagged.

Dizzy cap + rotor arm will sort you out bud.

Also, take the coil off the bulkhead and clean it up to get a good contact, as thats its earth. And wont cost you anything :)

I will third or forth that on it being dizzy cap and rotor arm :).

PM iddy and he will sort you out with next day postage and a great price on both.

And even if it's not them, by the looks of it they are overdue a change either way so it wouldn't hurt bro.

Uphill with the engine under load at relativeley low RPM? I'd put it down to that DizzyCap personally. I got mine from ID-Workz, delivery was uber quick. Worth a peep!

Good luck bud!

So I cleaned the contacts and i think the carbon brush in centre was jammed, cars been ran and works fine at the moment fingers crossed!!!

Awesome news! Still looks a little worn, if it kicks in again I would just buy a new cap if I was you :-)

Yeah, I have a rotor sat here so I'll be ordering a new cap. Cars been fine since, been hectic moving house so cars been on the back burner to be fair, poor thing! Got forged rods and pistons, nice clean complete head ready for a skim, and a wepr Evo manifold and , r spec turbo timer all to go on along with a few other bits lol. Then I'm going to be making some minor adjustments to intercooler and cooling system hopefully! Lol I'm very busy!

Thanks for all the help guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah mine has done this before.. Slightly different symptons If I remember but dizzy cap needed a bloody good clean and got a new rotor arm.

Also.. When you took the rad cap off with a towel was the engine hot?? If so it would spill out anyways wouldn't it relieving the pressure??

Tom.

Yeah mine has done this before.. Slightly different symptons If I remember but dizzy cap needed a bloody good clean and got a new rotor arm.

Also.. When you took the rad cap off with a towel was the engine hot?? If so it would spill out anyways wouldn't it relieving the pressure??

Tom.

It was hot, I know to expect it but usually if you release caps off gradually they relieve themselves though. At the moment the cars running faultless I'm still warey of the hoses but I'm going to try the thermostat first, as that may have failed in a funny position, car doesn't show above 1/4 temp.

If it is the headgasket it's not the end of the world but I'm just great full that at the moment I have a perfectly running car lol! Couldn't have survived the last 2-3 weeks without it!!

Yeah I really don't think it'll be the headgasket as that would keep running up to normal temp and then one day over heat. And you know if you have an air lock in the coolent system because it'll just start overheating all the time! The temp goes way off the scale everytime you run the car pretty much and thatll melt the headgasket or maybe crack the head I suppose.. My brother 106 gti had this probablem shortly after he bought it.. After we bled it it ran lovely until now as its off the road as he has a bmw cooper s.

Tom.

Tried bleeding it through, will have to flush it and check for any blockages but I doubt there is. Yeah it's a strange one as there's no other sign of a failing gasket but who knows, could be early stages. They are buggers to drive when they're completely gone!

Also mate have you thought about your fuelling?? Maybe a faulty fuel pump or something like that?

Tom.

It's running fine now mate it did cross my mind but wideband readings pointed to it fuelling correctly so I put that possibility to one side!