Why does my car not have an air filter?

http://s1061.photobucket.com/user/mowgli1234/media/59592_10151319935286486_1251886373_n_zpsc8e835f7.jpg.html'>59592_10151319935286486_1251886373_n_zps

The intake pipe goes straight into the intercooler.. Then from into intercooler through few more pipes into exhaust manifold....

Is that normal? lol

Sometimes I see an air filter on the end of a turbo???

Could someone explain this noobish question

But what does the air filter actually do on that side of the engine?

Yep there's nothing not even mesh mate

Personally I would get yourself an air filter relocation kit.. It's a silicon bend with hard pipes and the filter sits behind your bumper.. Perfect place for cold air to hit..

Whilst you are waiting to get that.. I would go and get some fine mesh and use it over the turbo and jubilee clip it down secure... Last thing you want is shit and dirt getting in your turbo.

It's the air filter for the engine bud due to us being turbo charged its forced induction ie air filter off the turbo charger just get some mesh on there from a sieve and it will be fine :) looking at your picture I'd say the air filter has been removed because of the short route hot side pipe but don't see why the last owner didn't mesh the turbo or get you self a filter relocation kit :)

Edited by akyakapotter

Ohhh right.. A sive? haha first i've heard!! :p

What does it mean by a ported wastegate by the way? I got the feeling everyone wants to punch me for such noobish questions but guys you lot have helped me soo much!!

Yep a sieve that you use to sieve flower cost me like £2 at tesco cut it up and jublee clipped it to the turbo :D porting the waste gate means where the actuator are is attached is a little penny under that is a hole porting is making that hole a bit bigger but not to big so it doesn't seal will help stop boost creep :) questions are fine mate we all had to start somewhere :D

Lol if you take the decat off the turbo, there's a flap thing (wastegate) lift it up and this is the hole you wanna port out. It prevents boost from going above the set level, something that easily happens when you fit an air filter relocation, then it hits fuel cut etc when it creeps

Hks actuator will be easy to fit.

The filter should be sat on the left side of the turbo, I'd get one on there maybe for the meantime cut up your missus's kitchen sieve and make yourself a mesh there's a guide by socks on this forum :)

when i bought my starlet the air filter had been removed by the previous owner and i drove it back from Luton for 2 and a half hours. after speaking to a local tuner about it i didn't drive the car for a couple of days while i was waiting for my monster motorsport air filter relocation kit to arrive as i was advised about grit or dirt getting into and blowing the turbo (as my daily drive to work used to be through the forest).

However, a lot of people run there setup with just mesh covering and they seem to have no problems.

so some mesh or the relocation kit will be fine, just be careful in the mean time!

Tom.