hub adaptors id assume. gonna be an awesome build mate, id go for a 20v 4age if ya can as they are better. and aim for a silvertop if pos as the internals are stronger so they take to boost and superchargers better than the blacktops.

Yeah blacktops rods are the week points. Ideally you would want silvertop or late spec 16v rods in a blacktop engine. If its to be boosted a little bit of work in the combustion chamber should be done to smooth out a couple of edges

thanks guys, it will be the 20v, i wasnt really too sure on the silver top or the blacktop, like you say, the silvertop has stronger internals but is about 30bhp less powerful, i would like to supercharge it at some point but ive never seen a supercharged 4age, does anyone know they can take it? im aiming for about 190-200bhp, just so its not so powerful it wont go round corners

as for the wheels, i will be using hub adapters, as much as i dont want to, i think the wheels will look good on the starlet, failing that, ill try and get celica supra hubs to fit

steve

Silvertops are about 5hp down on blacktops.

Get a full exhaust, manifold decat, good cai, cams, trd 0.8mm head gasket and ecu and you should see around that figure. But the extra revs you might want to give it will be the killer for the stock blacktop rods.

Silvertops are about 5hp down on blacktops.

Get a full exhaust, manifold decat, good cai, cams, trd 0.8mm head gasket and ecu and you should see around that figure. But the extra revs you might want to give it will be the killer for the stock blacktop rods.

So if I do them modifications on the silver top I should see about 200bhp? Any recommended places to get those parts? I'm fairly new to the toyota scene

Steve

Silvertops use and air flow meter (Afm) whereas the blacktops run a Map sensor.

This means the blacktops intake is much more open to tuning (Can be run on open) but the silvertop has to always be run with the intake pipe and plenum over the throttles.

It is possible to put the blacktop ecu and map sensor setup onto the silver top which would be a good route to take to start with then when you need it get a standalone ecu for the final tuning.

But things that are better on the blacktops are.

Highercomp pistons 11.5:1 vs 11:1

Better designed ports on the head

Larger throttlebodies. 45mm vs 42mm

Map sensor setup.

Silvertop

Better rods

Combustion chamber is slightly better design for det prevension. But this can be sorted on the blacktop head if its ever removed.

Doing the list of mods to a silvertop previously stated and fitting it with a map sensor setup should get 180-190 at a guess. (They dont seem to make as much power for some. Probably the smaller throttles and lower compression ratio)

Edited by morgey

190-200 bhp would take serious internal work to get it out of a 4age.

You will need serious head work, mad cams, standalone ecu and possibly race fuel.

Your average 4age only get 145-150 bhp on a dyno on a good day.

As for rods i wouldnt really worry on a std rev limit. I had one on a jam ecu and it handle 8.8k rpm no prob.

I have seen them been pushed very hard yet to see one brake a rod.

Big ends can go.

It depends on the engine really. I know dyno results can vary but mine dyno'd in at 175hp 122lbft and I've been alongside 185hp b18 ek civics that are fully stripped and sat side by side with them up to a fair speed. And that was me on full interior, so im fairly confident mine must be up in that reigion somewhere.

Mines exhuast,mani, flywheel, trumpets, filter, sports cat, no power steering or aircon and still on the auto ecu

You must have a very healthy engine. I have seen some to make in and around 175 but that was the sort of dyno you go on for smiles more than anything else. Personally 4e is a much better option if you want power. There is a few levin owners over here swopped out the 4age for different power plants.

I seen a few ep70 hot rods use 4age and i noticed they had to chop the chassis leg a tad to squeeze them in

Mid 25k (miles) so is low milage tbf. But yea i expected around the 155-165hp mark tbh.

If you're on about the 2zz powered ones it does make sense to use a more modern powerful engine but thats even more effort to fit in a starlet lol. However i would love to see a k20 powered starlet like the k20 levin thats been done :D

And yes you do have to chop the chassis leg or mount the engine very low but I've not had any issue with mine yet. (Cut leg on mine)

Right ok I think I understand, I'll be going for the silver top and stripping it and completely rebuilding it so it will basically be a new engine, I'm also going for all the mods that's your states along with the blacktop map sensor, then I'll get it on the dyno and hope for the best!

• 1 month later...

Right guys, had a bit of a thought about what engine I want to put in it, I'm now thinking along the lines of the 4efe or 5efe, can someone tell me what cars there from? And can they be turbo'd or supercharged?

4efe from any n/a Starlet and 5efe from Paseo. If you can find a Sera or Cynos then you can get hold of the import 5efhe, which is stronger and has fancy intake to make an extra 20hp or so.

4efte from any Glanza or GT. You can turbo the 4efe (check Rob H's build thread for tips on that) but I'm not sure if any of the above has been supercharged!

Edited by uberphil88

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

4efe from any n/a Starlet and 5efe from Paseo. If you can find a Sera or Cynos then you can get hold of the import 5efhe, which is stronger and has fancy intake to make an extra 20hp or so.

4efte from any Glanza or GT. You can turbo the 4efe (check Rob H's build thread for tips on that) but I'm not sure if any of the above has been supercharged!

Supercharged has been done, only one I know of. Its on Irish plates. There is a few photos on ECC FB and in the lifestyle section.

Ok people, this will be for sale within the next couple of weeks, don't really know how much to ask for it, it'll have 12 months mot and 6 months tax, 70k miles, no rust what so ever, only downside is It hast got any interior apart from two front seats, how much do you think it's worth?

Cheers, steve