Maximum power for a N/A e series engine.

I'm going to try and squeeze the most power possible out of my 5e. What is the most power anyone has got?

I've seen a few Tercels and Cynos' on the US forum, also I have heard Jam built a sera, but can only find a few posts on it and no figures.

The max I've seen is online is 137bhp, has anyone heard of anything higher?

137bhp is some going to be honest!

The NA route is always the same, big money for little gains. Hence why turbo's or conversion are always used!

Got any specs of the car running 137bhp???

Yeah it's a Tercel in the states:

91 tercel

5e-fe swap from 1st gen paseo

2nd gen 5e-fe head gasket

265 billet cams

5e-fhe injectors

5e-fhe ecu

5e-fhe distributor

5e-fhe igniter

5e-fhe tps

msd blaster external coil

10mm plug wires

underdrive crank pulley

aluminum cam pulley

255 fuel pump

sard fuel pressure regulator

exhaust header with full open exhaust

Supercharge it. Do something different ;-) someone's managed it anyway!

I want to keep it N/A trying to beat the 137bhp. I'm currently in the process of building itb's once they are on I'm going to get it mapped.

You probably won't see the full benefit of them without cams tbh bud and getting the lengths bob on

I would hope to see some gains from the ITB's, not sure how much. I've got the same base (5e-fhe) and mine has had other work done, such lightening and balancing & head work. Also the Tercel has not been mapped, so I hope to see around the same sort of figures.

it's a shame enzo still isn't floating about. his jdm 4efe (100bhp) n/a build was a massive inspiration. focus on weight :D

Yeah I did speak to him about this ages ago, when I first joined up. I don't want to be stripping it out as its my daily. Can't watch youtube vids in work, will have a gander when I get home.

Have you not considered an ACIS intake manifold? Similar vein to tb's however it reduces the runner length at low rpm to gain torque

It has been considered, wanted to do something different with the ITB's. There is only 5 (I know of anyway) E-Series' running ITB's possibly four.

2 in the States

1 in Canada

1 in the UK

The JAM Sera, not sure if this is still around though.

Theres one in Europe as well, he's running them inclosed though

Is there any info on the one in Europe? I've been trolling forums all over the show now, there isn't really much info. When I get mine done, I'll do a write up and how-to guide.

I really want to find info on the mystery JAM Sera to see what power they managed.

Try contacting xpect, think he's a forum user on them forums, there was a build thread somewhere but not sure if it got lost on the change to Ukso

Will do, thanks. I remember a someone had a Paseo with ITB's back on UKSC, from memory, it was his display picture and had individual filters.

Edited by chrisgreen1993

Also try siren676 hes got a 5efe on kawasaki itbs but not been on in over a year.

And that might be big_t-sr he had a 4age 20v setup with individual filters as his pic?

Cheers Morgey.

No it was definately 5e, back in the day when it was Paseo Pimp

Ahh fair one, another lad who did the itb setup on a 4e was "the quiet achiever" but theres still another person who's done it i think.

Ahh and theres jozinobi in ireland he had a 5e and was planning itb's as well :)

Edited by morgey

Ahh fair one, another lad who did the itb setup on a 4e was "the quiet achiever" but theres still another person who's done it i think.

Must be some I've missed then. I should (fingers crossed) have something by the end of the week. Cutting the manifold tonight and welling on stubbs, Triumph TT600 ITB's should be here Wednesday latest, got 45 degree silicone joiners ordered. Will take plenty photos as I'm doing it.

The best thing to do is to increase the compression ratio. The 5EFE was 9.4:1, if you can get this to 10:1 + you'll see a signifcant gain in torque over the entire rev range.

Another thing I find with the N/A engines is that the rev limit is way too short, you need to be rev'ing the motor to atleast 7500rpm, with cams and ITB's you will probably still be making power at 8200rpm. Take a look at any N/A dyno graphs on the leaderboard, the power is still climbing then they hit the limiter.

Must bear in mind the n/a cars that do rev to the limiter are most likely your typical revvy jap engines.

4age's have a performance head (wide angle) and its only the 20v that hold the power to the limiter as they have the VVT to help. 16v's drop after about 6700-7000. As the cams arent designed to breath that high.

So you would want some heavy headwork, aggressive cams, and considerably bumped up compression to provide the hi end power.

Well that being the case they didnt design the engine very well from factory for drivability, surely if its still wanted to rev higher than the limiter you would have thought it would be lacking low end. Which tbf they do a bit lol

They do lack bottom end power. But that's how it is with little engines. Best thing to do is lighten the fuck out of it get it and ballence. Ported head with cams high comp it and rev the tits out of it on itb. Make it into a big bike engine. Nothing's better than revving a gszr 1000 to 12k cars are slow! Haha

Yeah but i mean the cams arent suited to the engine, if they can still make power after there stock limiter they aren't matched to the engine very well, they should be out of there range by 6k

Sort of 2.5k -5.5k not 4.5k - 7k when it cant rev that far lol

The best thing to do is to increase the compression ratio. The 5EFE was 9.4:1, if you can get this to 10:1 + you'll see a signifcant gain in torque over the entire rev range.

Another thing I find with the N/A engines is that the rev limit is way too short, you need to be rev'ing the motor to atleast 7500rpm, with cams and ITB's you will probably still be making power at 8200rpm. Take a look at any N/A dyno graphs on the leaderboard, the power is still climbing then they hit the limiter.

I've got the 5e-fhe, so the compression ration is higher as standard. Altering the rev limit is something that will be looked into whilst I have it on the dyno, so hopefully there is some nice gains to be had to end.

I've put an fte inlet on mine and power comes in at about 4.5k and just wants to rev right out. definly neds a higher rev limiter! need to get a stand alone on and have a play

The fte intake cam standard on the 1st gen 5e-fhe, before ACIS came about. There is a tasty power band around 4K!

Must bear in mind the n/a cars that do rev to the limiter are most likely your typical revvy jap engines.

4age's have a performance head (wide angle) and its only the 20v that hold the power to the limiter as they have the VVT to help. 16v's drop after about 6700-7000. As the cams arent designed to breath that high.

So you would want some heavy headwork, aggressive cams, and considerably bumped up compression to provide the hi end power.

Will be looking into some serious headwork while the new rings are going in. My neighbor builds and tunes race bikes and will be looking to see what else can be squeezed out of the 5e lump.