Coolant temperature gauge acting up

Hey all, for a while now I've had a problem where the needle for coolant temp in the standard cluster will dip from the normal level depending on if the engine is under load or if the car is going over bumps etc. The coolant level is pretty much full, and I've topped it up before now with no effect. When the car is stopped and there's no throttle what so ever, the needle always returns to the normal temperature position (just under half), so it can't be overheating. Range of movement can be from normal level all the way down to the bottom of the gauge. Never goes above.

The waterpump is practically brand new, and the belt hasn't been slipping (no noise, alternator is fine etc), so what could it be? A bad earth or something that's loose (moving about with the car's movement), or a knackered temp sensor? Anyone had this before?

Edited by Bluebear

I had this, the wiring on jap cars goes brittle, check for a broken wire at the temp sensor, mine was only broke enough to loose contact when I was under boost, then return to normal when it made contact again.

I have exactly this issue too. I think it may be thermostat as stated above. Im not sure but may be that the thermostat is stuck open so takes longer for the coolant to reach its optimum temp. I havnt got round to replacinf mine yet but id reccomend doing that first i think they are pretty straight forward to change looking at where they are located. If u do decide to go for it and change it, PM me and let me know if its made a difference.

Thermo has been changed already about 2 months ago, coolant comes up to temp fine now (it was taking 30 mins or so to get up to temp before it got changed!).

As Jamie said, i have a sneaking suspicion that it's wiring. Just been out now and it's fine, wiggled wiring about and its back to it's derpy self. What would be involved then, re soldering it on again or something?

Edited by Bluebear

This on the gt or n/a nick? Either way the temp gauge runs off 2 sensors the green coolant temp sensor and another smaller spade terminal type connector and from memory they both run to the ecu then the gauge so as above check connections and wires. If its on the n/a let me know and ill send the relevant wiring diagrams over.

Rob

My one to the gauge is all funny now too, I have checked mine and the connection just going into the connector looks like it's shot. I will have to repair this but yours is probably the same as mine. We are having pretty much the same problems at the same time lol

• 5 weeks later...

I had this. Mine was the stat but, I also soubd the wire that feeds the signal to the gauge had just fell apart. My coolant temp sensor was non existent also. After I checked these and replaced it was fine :)