What spec is your black mr2 mate ?

It's a rev 1 hardtop. It had an air filter, exhaust, aftermarket shocks/springs and polybushes when I bought it. I've since fitted a decat, toms ecu and upped the boost to 1 bar. Also have the chargecooler setup from the ST205 Celica to fit along with big brakes. Definitely feels better since I've done the mods but it's not as quick as my old TD04'd Advance. Yes, they handle well but I felt much, much more confident when pushing the Starlet into corners at speed.

Sometimes I contemplate going TD04 with my starlet but think an MR2 would be so much more fun in summer (I know what summer but still) months. How are they in winter actually? My brain tells me they must be pants..but surely with some good winter tyres they could be usable?

As for Rx7's if I was going to be spending that kind of money on running and maintaining a car it would be a Supra. That will be where Im going after the MR2 hopefully its my dream car, once I have a supra it will stay with me for life.

MR2's are not as bad as people make out bud. As said above they're not the correct layout for drifting, and usually they're binned when people try something stupid in them. You can feel them start to step out and you have a very small window in which to catch it. The worst thing you can do is let off the throttle (trust me on this) as you will undoubtedly end up facing the opposite direction... or worse. One thing you will be well advised to do is fit decent tyres whatever the weather.

You're obviously on imoc and there's plenty of info on there...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think every MR2 driver must experience a few scary moments at the start if they are not used to driving an mid engined rear wheel drive car. Im just going to be careful and test the limits slowly because the last thing I want is to over step the mark too early and trash it because Ive made a rookie error.

I absolutely have to have a TOM'S kitted one!

Edited by WilkieGT

I own a MR2 GTS for last 7 yr even though av own starbo nearly 13 yrs,the mr2 is my most fav from all the cars av own,

even standard power MR2 is a killer machine go gart feelin buzz and could be very easily tweeked up for extra bhp, as for the cockpit position i luv it,handling is superb! specialy when lowerd on coilovers,main thing is make sure uv got a good set of tyre set up and if uv got a bold cock i mean bold tyres in wet :lol: then ull end up facin opposite direction in a ditch :crazy:

I've read they are very quick with 0-60 times ranging between 5.2-5.7 seconds is that accurate? I know it depends on the driver etc etc but that is quick! How would it pair against a stock Celica GT4? (on a dry day) The MR2 is lighter where as the Celica is heavier but has 4wd on its side.

Edited by WilkieGT

I've read they are very quick with 0-60 times ranging between 5.2-5.7 seconds is that accurate? I know it depends on the driver etc etc but that is quick! How would it pair against a stock Celica GT4? (on a dry day) The MR2 is lighter where as the Celica is heavier but has 4wd on its side.

Ive owned both and the MR2 is far quicker and a shit lot more fun.

That driver in those vids needs to learn to put 2 hands on the fucking wheel. Hes trying to act too cool. And when he steers he hands are all over the bloody place!

Thats what I expected I think the GT4 would be fun until you have a go in an MR2.

I remember when I passed my test always driving with one hand thinking I was the nuts. I still drive with one hand but only when driving through town. Always two hands when im giving it some, you have so much more control.

Im very fussy about my cars anyway so I wont settle for a shitter ill just save for a better one if I have too.

Thats sweet Ive seen a few very similar too that up for sale. Once my starlet sells ill make my move!

Still enjoy the Starlet its a shame cause its not that ive fallen out of love with it, its just im more in love with the idea of the MR2 lol wish I could have both

Im very fussy about my cars anyway so I wont settle for a shitter ill just save for a better one if I have too.

Thats sweet Ive seen a few very similar too that up for sale. Once my starlet sells ill make my move!

Still enjoy the Starlet its a shame cause its not that ive fallen out of love with it, its just im more in love with the idea of the MR2 lol wish I could have both

tell me about it as of yesterday i have 3 cars now

• 4 weeks later...

Well Im still hunting for the right MR2 Turbo, I feel its going to be a long wait mainly because im a fussy bastard :sad:

Already thinking about getting GT again after the MR2 as a run about.

Edited by WilkieGT

Wut :crazy:

Celcia headlights?!

yeah it was stock headlights last time i saw her lol,

the celica gen 7 headlight conversion is pretty common and works on some bumpers sadly this isnt one of them

if you do the conversion on the veilside or bomex front bumpers it actually looks pretty good but this guys made a mess of it and i sold itto him with an veilside bumper as well dunno what happened there ??

Anyway celica gen7 headlights on the bomex bumper done properly :)

http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/russyb/media/mr220w20celica20lights_zps73220cf8.jpg.html'>mr220w20celica20lights_zps73220cf8.jpg

http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/russyb/media/0_zps05fb782a.jpg.html'>0_zps05fb782a.jpg