Looking For Some Thoughts... Possibly a JAM Hybrid CT9 Turbo! :)

It was sold with receipts from a top JDM parts supplier as a JAM Hi Flow Turbo mate

Well they've got it wrong. If that was put on a car and made more power than a standard ct9 I would be amazed! Maybe it's been rebuilt at some point and the wrong compressor wheel is in there. And that most defiantly isn't the correct one.

The inducer looks very similar to a stock ct9, but it just doesn't fit the housing.

As someone said above I believe TD did have a Jam turbo, might be worth asking for pics?

Yeah well it's off the car at the moment but might stick it on one of my own and do a dyno run with it on and then with a standard one at same boost levels and compare

• 3 months later...

Browner i know this is delayed but did u ever get outcome of the jam ct9

I purchased 1 6months ago of a very reputable company on here..

Had i a high flow before and couldnt tell no difference in the two units but my god could tell mid range power difference just from driving it and setting up the avcr for it.

Still havent had it dyno'd yet to see true outcome..

I couldnt find any info on a jam ct9 thow :/

Not a whole lot mate I have it on one of my own cars now and the power is excellent from it. Seems very hard to get any info on them and too many lads saying its not this and it's not that without actually seeing the turbo or showing pics of a supposedly 'genuine' JAM turbo. Does yours look the exact same as the one in my pics?

Edited by Browner

20131103_194629_zpsc465b8b9.jpg

20131103_194655_zps9a338d88.jpg

20131103_194756_zps1c4c5c63.jpg

Well theres some pics pal. My old unit is the 1 on the right.

Cannot find any info on them at all. All i know is that its an improvement from the older unit.

Wanna go tdo4 really so just fishing around for info for when i sell this setup.

May contact mike @ td to see if he can inform me as thats where it cam from.

Its clear from the pics its not the right compressor wheel for the housing.

I don't know what parts jam used, but I don't need to know to tell its the wrong compressor!

As a turbo engineer you tend to know these things lol

Edited by keirz

Its clear from the pics its not the right compressor wheel for the housing.

I don't know what parts jam used, but I don't need to know to tell its the wrong compressor!

As a turbo engineer you tend to know these things lol

I have to agree its not the right size compressor wheel at all lol

Like i said Just going from what i got told from mike @ td.

New runs alot better than old 1. What to get it dyno'd to compare them then.

Yeah i think the one you've got on your car might be newer but theres no diffrance between the 2 compressor wheels what so ever

Ok cheers mate. Im happy with previous turbos output. And new 1 is noticably better.

I just wanted some kinda info on it as it was sold to me as a jam high flow.

And looking to sell setup in near future so any more info woulda been helpfull.

Ill just get new dyno print and let that answer it. Lol

Conor that turbo is deffo 100% a stock ct9A unit

Also fordie both them turbos are stock ct9B units! The compressor wheels are stock ct9b wheels

The shaft does not appear to be a stock shaft on that unit so it is a hybrid

On yours buddy. Its difficult to tell sizes and stuff from the pictures but in my opinion yours does look to be different from stock.

With browners one, Im not saying its not a hybrid, it could well be a jam hybrid, but somewhere down the line its been rebuilt and has too small a compressor wheel in it. The gaps between the inducer tips and the cover are huge. It will be less efficient than if it had the correct clearances.

Edited by keirz

Keirz i know you have rebuilt turbos more then likey since ive been in nappy's lol

But i am 100% sure that Browner's and fordie's ct9 turbos arnt hybrids! I have about 4 ct9a's and 2 ct9B's sat in my garage along with god knows how many spare turbin shafts and compressor wheels! so i have become aware of whats what with the ct9's as thats all ive realy ever rebuilt lol..

Ill get some pics up soon as my new camera comes in the post

I know you have a dabbled mate, how many ct9 c,d,e,f's have you come into contact with, how many ct12 a,b,c,d etc? They pretty much all share the same style and design but vary very slightly in size. Size differences in The exducer and base size which wouldn't be visible until the turbo is stripped. As I say its very difficult to say what parts are used when there is sometimes a mm difference here and there.

Some hybrids are extreme, some are subtle.