Looking For Some Thoughts... Possibly a JAM Hybrid CT9 Turbo! :)

I picked up this little tubby today. It was originally bought from a very reputable JDM parts supplier here in Ireland and he said it was a genuine JAM Racing CT9 Hybrid turbocharger. Has anyone ever seen one like it before?

Every day is a school day with these Starlets!

image_zpse876333f.jpg

image_zpsdf27c4ee.jpg

image_zps7f70e1bc.jpg

image_zps0e845fe0.jpg

how many aftermarket plug and play ecu`s have u come acoss by now? Especially the JAM ones... I rekon u`v nearly owned every ep91 one they made by now! except mine lol

Edited by Vincent-ep91

Ha I've had about 18 JAM Plug & Plays so far this year Vincent. Been pretty lucky. Last year it was fishnet Recaros I was always getting this year it seems to be ecus and lightweight flywheels lol

that's looks to have had the wrong compressor wheel put on at some stage. that's too small and looks to be a stock ct9 wheel.

its not a k1 either,

Edited by keirz

that's looks to have had the wrong compressor wheel put on at some stage. that's too small and looks to be a stock ct9 wheel.

its not a k1 either,

Was gonna say that's got the wrong compressor wheel in it!

It's not that the compressor wheel is too small it's the design of the fins lads, the way they shape inwards. Dunno it's a weird one some serious pow out of this little tubby so there was!

Ay more opinions on it?

lol that's not the design, its the wrong compressor wheel its too small for the housing

Im not guessing by the way, I've built around 60000 turbos in the past five years

Edited by keirz

lol that's not the design, its the wrong compressor wheel its too small for the housing

Im not guessing by the way, I've built around 60000 turbos in the past five years

Or the housing is too big for the comp wheel lol?

lol yeah either way around

i know its not the news you want but that's is what it is buddy.

what number is on the turbine housing where it mates to the manifold?

what measurement is the compressor intake?

what measurement is the inducer of the compressor wheel?

get me that info and i should be able to let you know you have mate. if the number is 11011 then its a ct12 turbine and core with a ct9b compressor. that would explain the too small wheel as that is smaller on the the ct12 despite its bigger shaft. that's my guess from what i can see but with the measurements i can confirm

Edited by keirz

I say this because the vac nipple on the comp housing looks like those used on hybrid housings.

The factory 1 was fixed and not hex the way that 1 is.

Also that appears to be the standard comp wheel with a 4on4 pattern.

Measure the comp intake if it is larger than 38mm then I would be 95% sure its a hybrid housing on a standard turbo.

that nipple is standard on older ct9a from a gt, i have two here in front of me exactly the same. most of the ct range has the same design wheel just of varying sizes.

it could well be a hybrid comp cover on a stock ct9, like i said either way its not the right wheel

Edited by keirz

yea i have starlet bible at home but its all in squigly writing.

i hi flow turbo is differnt to a hybrid in that only the waistgate gets board and compressor wheel modified to flow more air.

thats a hi flow turbo

a hybrid in the true sense of the word is when you start using different compreessor - turbine,shaft wheel combinations.

im thinking is this figure is possible on a hi flow turbo(like the gt spec) i wander what a td12 would be like on a 5e like that!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting debate as to what it is. Amazing what little info is available on some JDM items.

Keirz the number on the exhaust side where it meets the exhaust manifold is 11030

Jam made hybrids never seen one in the flesh but I did have a customer down beside Corofin dude that had one, get into John and maybe you might get some pics off him and you can compare the two

Don't forget there was loads if company's making parts for starlets in the big days could be any shops hybrid only thing that's the same with all if them is that they were higher boost but safe on the engine which left them about 1.1 after that it could be doing damages and company's wouldn't take the risk