hks actuator. .problem.

Just got round to fitting a hks adjustable actuator bought second hand off this forum.

Pre set the arm to 123mm to achieve 0.8 boost (correct me if that's wrong)

Took it out for a quick test drive and tried it out and the boost nearly went off the dial! (Very briefly of course)

I've wound it down four times now one turn at a time and it's still the same, boosting its head off.

It boosted just fine on the standard one at 0.65, can these actuators fail or is it me that's failed epically trying to fit it?

Also is the little vac hose supposed to run to the turbo or to atmosphere?

Could the waste gate spring be knackered??

I've just checked the arm that bolts to the actuator arm and there is no tension at all, it moves side to side very easily,

Is this normal? Any help appreciated.

Thats not normal mate, there should be tension to hold the wastegate shut until the desired boost pressure is hit.

Cheers mate, it must be the wastegate spring then because when the actuator is un bolted I can open and shut the wastegate very easy infact it just wobbles about when I touch it.

I'm gonna put the old standard one back on and see what it's like,

I've wound the adjustable one out that far now it's not even starting to boost until over 3.5k revs but still massively over boosts when it hits full boost.

Dont know what's going on so I'm gonna put the standard one back on and go from there,

Cheers for the help lads.

^^^ don't you need to wind it in to raise the boost what your doing there by winding it out is lowering the boost :

I know mate, my posts explain that it's over boosting so naturally I would be trying to turn it down by winding it out more,

Just got it off and the arm seems ok,

I can pull the arm out by hand and there's plenty of tension pulling it back in again,

Confused now, I'll crack on in the morning now, cheers.

Just got it off and the arm seems ok,

I can pull the arm out by hand and there's plenty of tension pulling it back in again,

Confused now, I'll crack on in the morning now, cheers.

The vaccuum hose connected ok and not leaking? And you just have the single hose looped from actuator to turbo?

Edited by WallaceGlanza

The vaccuum hose connected ok and not leaking? And you just have the single hose looped from actuator to turbo?

Yes mate, single loop from actuator to turbo, it's leading me to think the actuator is faulty now because it's behaving exactly the same with vacuum hose connected or not connected.

Cheers for that mate, but that link just shows you how to set the boost and install the actuator which I am already familiar with,

It's looking like it's a faulty actuator, I'll know in the morning g when I put the old one back on.

Cheers.

Just checked the tension on the standard actuator and there is a massive difference between the two!

The hks arm is a lot harder to pull out! At least three times harder than the standard one,

It's seems quite obvious that this is my problem,

Will it be ok to douse it in wd40 a few times? I'm assuming it will be but I'd rather be certain incase I ruin it by not doing my research,

Cheers.

when you are putting the HKS actuator on, there should be tension on the actuator arm ( pre-load)

when putting the actuator arm on the wastegate pin, it should be pretty hard as you have to pull the actuator arm across to put it on the pin.

put a picture of the HKS actuator at the setting you have 0.8 bar after installment. might have some vacuum lines mixed up or something

when you are putting the HKS actuator on, there should be tension on the actuator arm ( pre-load)

when putting the actuator arm on the wastegate pin, it should be pretty hard as you have to pull the actuator arm across to put it on the pin.

put a picture of the HKS actuator at the setting you have 0.8 bar after installment. might have some vacuum lines mixed up or something

Yeah that's how it felt when I installed it the first time at 123mm, pretty hard to pull it over on to the pin.

But anyway I've just put the standard one back on and it's straight back to the way it was before,

I'm back to a steady 0.65, it's not rising or dropping at all on full boost so it's got to be a faulty actuator.

Gutted I'm all ready to turn the boost up now for more power! Anyone got a working pin type actuator for sale?

Makesure actuator working ok by connecting it up to a foot pump or similar with q guage on it and give it a small pump.maybe bladder inside has hole in....

I haven't got anything g around me at the moment to do that, I'm gonna get another one I think and try that,

Cheers.