• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

He should have said hello!

At that moment I was trying to fix the only problem I had all day, and that was bodywork rubbing Tyres when I had a passenger in the car. In the end I just had to go steady whenever I took someone out, some arch massaging is going to be needed.

There's some video from the day too, I'll post that later.

• 1 year later...

So, with this weekend imminent, and some stern words from Dave, it was time to make a start. It became even more important I got this thing going before Saturday when I realised it's my works Christmas party on Friday night!

Anyway, first things first I removed ancillaries, such as the alternator, water pump and oil filter housing. With that done I flipped the engine upside down, being sure to grab my oil can before I did so. Minimal mess on the floor of the unit that way, Andrew will be pleased!

2571Xsyl.jpg

I then wrestled the sump off, and my eyes were drawn to lots of weird gunk in the pickup strainer and bottom of the sump. I suspect that's old gasket?

lZnXsoFl.jpg

The small piece of metal I found in the strainer wasn't old gasket however, worrying!

uZVskDhl.jpg

Anyway, next off came the bottom pulley which I managed to damage with the puller. It took some real wrestling to get off actually, I think in hindsight I should have heated it up a little. Do you think I'll need a new one?

8BH3EZ4l.jpg

uOnPzQjl.jpg

Once the pulley was off I could remove the oil pump, and it looks a little bit warn, yikes.

H66P7ovl.jpg

1XuMNYkl.jpg

YzV1ysvl.jpg

With the oil pump, and also the rear main seal housing removed I set about removing the pistons

nObB9Zzl.jpg

I'd done quite a lot of reading and watching of how people disassemble engines, this came in useful on a number of occasions. One tip I learned was to protect the cylinder walls by covering the rod bolts, not sure if this is at all necessary, but I had some covers so thought it would be daft not to use them.

DifJ96Cl.jpg

Some photos of the pistons..

WSSPJrwl.jpg

j0lm5sKl.jpg

ZBeyy6el.jpg

Q7zEZKOl.jpg

aRDkcD6l.jpg

mxtGp8yl.jpg

PFabKQPl.jpg

ZO06Bovl.jpg

JedNjsNl.jpg

UzZEEYPl.jpg

YahTwmRl.jpg

oyLFaSgl.jpg

To my un trained eye they all look present and correct, I cant see any damage to ringlands or anywhere else on the pistons either, but will hold judgement until it has been looked over by a professional.

The bearings do have some discolouration, but as its the first time Ive ever had an engine apart, I couldnt tell you if that was normal or not?

Plonked it all back together to keep the elements out of it, not sure if that is necessary but it keeps it all in one piece.

AKYAzhdl.jpg

I still have to remove the crank, but I can get that done on Saturday before I load the thing up into the boot of my daily and drop it off at CAS Engineering who are a North Yorkshire based engineering firm owned by a friend of a friend. Craig has asked me to bring as much as I can so he can carry out some detective work and figure out what the hell went wrong!