spotting a cheap Chinese TD04

Ive heard a few things about the cheaply made td04s that go for around 200 new on ebay. Im seeing a few 2nd hand for sale, the thing thats putting me off some of them is that the little plate on the inlet housing with the part number etc on is laid out differently to the genuine ones that Ive seen, the same layout that Ive seen on the brand new cheap ones. anyone care to shed some light?

Edited by EPnick22

Are you determined to kill this car lol ?

Toyo mani, ebay EWG and a chinese TD04 = A fucking costly engine rebuild. Just sayin :)

Good 2nd hand TD04s can be picked up for buttons man, scooby lads practicality throw them away.

After a quick search on ebay, I think you'll be better off signing up on a scooby forum and catching them on there. Prices on ebay seem to be quite optimistic and people looking to push their luck.

haha @daniel_g, im not going external w/gate, and not getting toyo manifold, am having a look about at what i can get hold of without blowing my bank (or my engine lol) all the bits i get ill be doing properly,

links to the ones you think are cheap crap ? :)

heres the one i THINK might be a chinese knock off, check the plate engraving...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-impreza-turbo-Td04-/111142783091?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19e0a04873

now check the plate on this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221263716238?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

and this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Impreza-Forester-Turbo-Unit-TD04L-/141032371729?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20d62f3611

After a quick search on ebay, I think you'll be better off signing up on a scooby forum and catching them on there. Prices on ebay seem to be quite optimistic and people looking to push their luck.

im on scooby net at the moment haha :)

As far as I can see all three are real, the chinese ones are quiet a bit different, and usually labelled up differently eg. Kinugawa turbo and a devil on the comp housing and the comp housing is a different shape and surface Finnish .

I've yet to see a Chinese one second hand, I doubt there's a big market for them as they are so cheap for the real thing.

As far as I can see all three are real, the chinese ones are quiet a bit different, and usually labelled up differently eg. Kinugawa turbo and a devil on the comp housing and the comp housing is a different shape and surface Finnish .

I've yet to see a Chinese one second hand, I doubt there's a big market for them as they are so cheap for the real thing.

Kinugawa is actually not a cheap Chinese ebay brand, they are a subdivision of another company who make some OE turbos for manufactures. Have a google and they get very good feedback. But yea there is cheapo Chinese turbos out there you need to look out for