Buying a car from Northern Ireland (register)

Yes you will. It will be the same process if you were to import a car from Japan, or anywhere else in the world for that matter.

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/registering-an-imported-vehicle

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_199220.pdf

Edited by AdamB

But its N.I which is the UK, pretty sure you can just buy it and bring it home.

I have seen plenty of cars over here on Irish plates, but I don't know much about it, I remember someone asking the same thing over on TGTT and they said its the same as importing a car from Japan.

I do believe the police aren't able to track the number plates either.

I have seen plenty of cars over here on Irish plates, but I don't know much about it, I remember someone asking the same thing over on TGTT and they said its the same as importing a car from Japan.I do believe the police aren't able to track the number plates either.

This is what I though as tried to hpi the car but it wouldn't pick it up! The lad said I just need to inform dvla Swansea as its registered with dvni or something like that? :-s

Just on top of this, my car is registered in Swansea DVLA office and this is where my tax disc was posted from.

The only difference between N.I. and the mainland is the MOT centres. The MOT centres are owned by the DVLA over here.

It's gotta be re registered in the uk otherwise you can't insure it an what not, I bought a 98 spec glanza from n.i and you gotta mot it by the vin number an not the Ireland reg then fill in a form from dvla

Was it bought from Norther Ireland or Ireland?

Reqistrations for cars from N.I. are near enought the same as English reg's ie R-Reg ='97 etc.

TAX and MOT bought in Northern Ireland is valid in the mainland.

My Dad has bought loads of cars from England and the process is exactly the same whether it's bought from someone in our street or England/Scotland/Wales.

The reg was 98-ke-8542 and I'm from Wales my self and it was a pain trying to register over here so I sold it, iirc you can drive Southern Ireland cara over here just as normal as I bought a car with the reg xbz1885 and that was fine

1st one is an Irish reg, 2nd one is an N.I reg.

I've looked into it.

Northern ireland buy it insure it drive it back.

If you want to change it to uk plate you simply go to your dvla office with the v5 they will then re issue you with a uk plate. Might be a small charge of £80

Rep of ireland is like buying from the eu

Will need import tax and uk vat paying afaik.

so add 40% to what ever the cost is. Then reregistering cost again.

Irish plates are for example 98 ce 5154

98 year of car, ce is the part of ireland its from, and the 5154 part is the reg number.

As for importing you just drive as normal, i had a golf from england and didn't have to do anything to it.