5th gear play and jumping out help please

its the selector fork on 5th gear thats bent. its a common problem in AE92 corolla gti's, driving along with your hand resting on the gear stick in 5th gear can cause it.

taggy did a write up on changing it

So gearbox rebuild to replace worn selector fork or new box then I guess

you can do it on the car just about. its only the 5th gear end casing that needs to be removed.

just need to drop the rear and gearbox mount and get to it from the passenger side arch. it would be easier off the car though. Not sure how much the arms are though, I've got a spare in my shed from a good box if anyone wants to attempt it.

im pretty sure you dont need to do all of this and really only need to replace the selector arm but worse case scenario heres the guide taggy linked me to, for replacing the whole of 5th gear hub synco and selector fork. doing everything will cost about £200 in parts

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=100

I've read on corolla forums that its just the selector fork that causes it. If you dont mind getting your hands dirty try the fork first, if it doesnt fix it you can always have it back apart and do the gear and syncro at a later date.

Yea that's what I'm gonna do I reckon

Yeah its not to hard a job, only bit thats a bitch is using the puller to get the 5th gear off, mine was on solid and i stripped two gear pullers trying to get it off, got it off in the end though :)

What parts should I order for the gearbox as not got a clue atm and is it Toyota only or can some where else get them I'm hoping to get it rebuilt Asap

if you look at the first picture here

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=100

you can see the part numbers of the bits you need, if its jumping out on yours at a minimum you would need to change the

syncro ring, which is 33369-12030

and the 5th gear which is 33036-12011

from those part numbers i would have thought he could pull the rest of the bits you need up on the microfich they look at, get the needle bearing if you can to replace.

Craig

Selector fork went on my Alfa, was an utter nightmare I could only use 2nd and 3rd gear, I was 50 miles away from home when it went so drove the rest of the way in 3rd lol

Shouldn't be too bad to change mate, good luck!

Edited by Addymk2