Engine Trouble i think!!

Hi guys,

Don't know if this happened to one of you, but i was driving to work today, all of a sudden "Check Engine Light" starts flashing and "RPM" gauge starts going up and down like crazy.

Before today if i put down a street race and after that come to a stop or at the lights it will "Idle" very low or turn off on it's own and takes time to turn back on.

can one of you guys let me know what the problem could be?

on top the intake manifold there is a little circle piece of rubber its like a little cap beneath that is a screw that controls your idle.... if the screw has become loose and unscrewed it self enough the idle will be way tooo low to keep the car running it has happened to me already after a very and i mean very spirited bit of driving

its an easy fix ... flat head screw driver is all you need screw the bolt in a little and turn the car on.... then you adjust the idle the same way screwing it till its where it needs to be a little under 1000rpm on idle is where i have mine

Edited by rasslenny

if it isnt that then id think u may need a new tps its the black box to the back of the intake manifold looking down at it next to the throttle boddy

repost lol... as chris said above

Edited by rasslenny

Hi guys gonna check it out today it has gotten worse, it keeps flashing the "check engine light" and "rpm" gauge keeps acting crazy and about the "TPS" do you have a diy guide or some on how to remove and install the "TPS"

thanks in advance

guys

No, as far as I am aware the FTE ones are 'slotted' meaning they need to be adjusted. I'm not sure if there is a guide on here. To reset the TPS you need rotate it while on the butterfly pin 360 degrees anti-clockwise. - This is from memory, I remember reading about it somewhere.

But two small bolts hold it in place. If you have a strut brace, it would be easier to work with if you removed it.

if your rev needle is jumping its not the TPS.. reset the ECU (disconnect the battery for 5 minutes, then re connect) and go for a drive and if the EML comes on, do the diagnostic test again... its distributor related, you may of even skipped a tooth on the timing.. may be worth timing the engine when your at it

i just took the car for a drive, with A/C off it won't idle for long but as soon as i put A/C on it will stay idle like a charm

So i went and turn the screw a bit it idles now with A/C off and A/C on but when i turn the A/C on it will idle to high i think it will almost get to the 2000rpm

Can you guys tell me what i need to the or what the problem is?