Not really clued up at all on ignition systems. So the question is what options are there?

Coil packs - how hard to set up, pros and cons?

Ignition amplifiers - once again, how hard to set up, pros and cons?

Also what is DIS setup?

Thanks in advance.

You can't really change a lot on the stock ignition system. Especially if your on na system. If you want to go dis you have to change ecu. On the stock system it uses the dizzy cap to fire each plug mechanically. Dis is done electronically by the ecu. Amplifierers have a low current logic signal input and convert the signal into a high power current to drive the coil/s

Cheers for the info again Grant.

Am I right in think the later gen JDM 4e-fe's came with a DIS?

In the above scenario, would it be worth picking up a an ECU and DIS from there. Is there any advantages to running a DIS?

Is the build on here Vincent? Also, what engine, I assume FTE?

Google wasted spark ignition theres plenty of reading but remember you need a crank angle sensor if u do away with the dizzy

I think the mx5 sparks 1 & 3 and 2 & 4, is this the droid your talking of? I have a mk1 and was thinking of doing away with the dizzy and trying to hook that up... Not sure if it's at all possible?

Will have a look into in Noel, have you ran a modified ignition system mate?

Hardly worth it chris though all the big power turbo's go this route eventually. If u got the bits from a gen 3 ep95 as the.man says you could run them plus youd have a knock sensor. Our just buy ultimate and some tsport coil on plugs. Again though u dont need it tik u turbo it. Dibs on your four branch by the way

• 2 weeks later...

Theres so much more to be gained by going DIS. Its not about just getting 300bhp and thinking yh thats fine. By having DIS it improves off boost power, on boost power, fuel economy, and with a good ecu you can set det threshold to be able to run your engine at its limits. The DIS system is so beneficial but cost alot hence why people go for DIS on only high powered cars running standalone ecu.

By the way i was just think if you can get the third gen coils and run it off a emanage or other piggybacks which will allow you to be able to map the fueling for a turbo setup and also play about with the ignition. I recon theres alot of power and driveability to be gained so its well worth doing the experiment if it can be done. It will be a cheaper option for people.