I've just finished fitting a forged engine and turbo with external wastegate I've just taken it for a spin and it doesn't boost! I had to but a vacuum nipple on the turbo as it didn't have one and I needed one to hook the wastegate up! At first I left the top nipple on the wastegate to vent in the atmosphere and just had the bottom one connected to the turbo. The best way I can describe the feeling from driving is it feels like a intercooler pipe has popped off it stutters and hesitates and the exhaust pops! Any help or ideas on my something I've missed?

The you would usually connect to your bov! When I got the turbo it never had the nipple to connect to the wastegate so I've modified one off a boost controller to fit and I'm thinking it could be that. I have a few things to rule out! I'm glad you clarified leaving to top nipple atmosphere as I wasn't quite sure :-)

sorry for sounding dim but what metal ring are you talking about? Gasket?

Don't be sorry haha :).

Here mate;

ring1_zps3dae6439.jpg

And this is the ring.

ring_zps519030f3.jpg

The car simply won't boost without the ring in there. If it's a vacuum leak big enough to stop the car boosting at all then you'll 110% hear it!

Don't be sorry haha :).

Here mate;

Posted Image

And this is the ring.

Posted Image

The car simply won't boost without the ring in there. If it's a vacuum leak big enough to stop the car boosting at all then you'll 110% hear it!

I see lol :-) I'll check it when I get home from work! I thought the same as you with regards to a boost leak it would basically have to be a large one to not have any boost but I'm going to be checking everything hopefully it's something simple

I see lol :-) I'll check it when I get home from work! I thought the same as you with regards to a boost leak it would basically have to be a large one to not have any boost but I'm going to be checking everything hopefully it's something simple

It always is something simple mate when something like this happens!

Let me know tonight how you get on and i'll try and help as much as I can.

It always is something simple mate when something like this happens!

Let me know tonight how you get on and i'll try and help as much as I can.

I spoke to the guy I bought it from and he said he never ran the wastegate to the turbo nibble witch explained everything, So I've connected it to the vacuum on the inlet manifold and it boosts :-) it's still spluttering and pops a little before it hits boost so I'm guessing that's down to a boost leak? I also have a air block could that cause the spluttering or effect the running of the car?

The turbo whistles quite loud as if there is a air leak from the intercooler pipes! I will be ruling that out tomorrow if that fails I'm going to unplug my lambda sensor and I'll have a look at the spark plug gaps making sure they are 0.8 I've read the dizzy can cause this problem as well not to sure how to check that! Anything I've missed or should be checked?

Take the dizzy off, just the cap not the big bolts, I'm sure it something like a positive drive screwdriver and maybe a 10mm spanner.

If you undo the main ones bolted to the head you'd adjust the positioning of the actual dizzy which would adjust ignition timing.

Once it's off check the contacts, they should be fairly clean and cylindrically shaped not worn out and deformed, also check condition of the rotor which is the spinning contact that's not on the dizzy cap but on the dizzy itself. Red plastic with a metal contact on it.