Another idle issue...

Cars been idleing funny for a bit now, idles around 2k but when driving if I take it out of gear and just roll then the revs will drop to 1k and go up to 2k then drop to 1k and keep repeating this over and over every few seconds, and I noticed the other day that oil has been coming out of my dizzy possibly? here's a pic 516EAB85-57AD-4959-884F-6264CBADF6E2_zps

Could this be the cause for my idle issue? what do I need to replace? it has covered just about everything beneath it with oil :cray:

Oil leak wont be causing the idle issue but needs to be fixed. The o'ring will have perished or been damaged, its a cheap standard part from Toyota and takes all of 5 minutes to fix, just check and reset the timing afterwards as you have to pop the dizzy out to do it.

Idle problem is likely caused by rusty/crappy water or gunk in the idle up mechanism in the bottom of the throttle body. Rip the throttle body and waters lines off and give the whole system a flush. 95% of the time this solves the problem.

On the underside of the throttle body is a idle up mechanism that's activated by the temperature of the water fed to it. Quite often and over time they get some rusty/gunk build up that causes the diaphragm to pulse the engine revs like your describing.You'll need to take the throttle body off and unscrew the cover and clean the inside, it pays to check and clean out the water lines too if they're gunked up.

Just be careful to note which line goes where as two of the lines are water and the other two are vac lines from the power steering and you don't want to put them back around the wrong way.

okay I have taken the bottom off cleaned it all out cleaned all of the throttle body off, and its still idleing high, any other ideas? I have also cleaned the ICV but it did appeare to be broken around the ring also would this be causing it?

Pretty surprised its not the idle up under the throttle body to be honest, I've fixed a lot of these and its generally that.

You may have a vac leak somewhere. Take each vac line off and inspect the lines for cracking? So you've checked the idle up solenoid at the drivers side end of the inlet manifold? And the air con idle up that is plugged into the throttle body?

Where are all the vac lines connected? I'm sure I've checked them all and I don't have air con bud. Yep checked the idle control valve on the drivers side of the inlet manifold so confused s to what it could be!

Where are all the vac lines connected? I'm sure I've checked them all and I don't have air con bud. Yep checked the idle control valve on the drivers side of the inlet manifold so confused s to what it could be!

jim dan had the same kinda problem one of the vacuum lines was split hardly noticeable but idle raised up….

my idle speed is only an issue when the car isin traffic. the idle would go up and down between0.3rpm and 1.2 rpm. it wont stay a t one constant level. also da car is hestitant and judders when driven under 2000rpm. what could cause dis. ive cleaned the dristrubtor, new leads, spark plugs, cleaned idle control vave but still same.