Help with tapping noise

Morning all,

Could any of you guys help me with a tapping noise I have noticed. I cannot hear the tap whilst the engine is idling, only when revved, I know there is a tapping noise coming from one of the injectors which stops when the engine has some heat in it. But this tapping carrys on, it also sounds like it is getting worse.

The engine doesn't appear to be using any oil or water etc and has just recently had the oil changed. I will try to attach a couple of video's to the post.

http://vimeo.com/83212360

https://vimeo.com/83212359

Thanks

James

Slider guage under the lobe of the camshaft? It has been a little tappy for a while, but with it being stood for a few years I've never checked that over. Also maybe worth noting is that the car has got a bit of white smoke coming from the exhaust both on idle and revs, wether this maybe condensation in the exhause or possible head gasket failure and that could be causing a tapping noise, like what was decribed in a topic I've read on here

Slider guage under the lobe of the camshaft? It has been a little tappy for a while, but with it being stood for a few years I've never checked that over. Also maybe worth noting is that the car has got a bit of white smoke coming from the exhaust both on idle and revs, wether this maybe condensation in the exhause or possible head gasket failure and that could be causing a tapping noise, like what was decribed in a topic I've read on here

I'd have guessed it would be condensation from the exhaust, but you wouldn't know till everything got right up to temp.

Yeah check the clearances with a feeler gauge.

Can't remember off hand what they are, but they are different for exhaust and inlet

I'd have guessed it would be condensation from the exhaust, but you wouldn't know till everything got right up to temp.

Yeah check the clearances with a feeler gauge.

Can't remember off hand what they are, but they are different for exhaust and inlet

The smoke doesn't go even when up to temperature, but I just wonder if this is due to it not being driven in anger for nearly 5 years

Has it been sitting for a long period of time? A simple engine flush, new oil, filter + redex might help if it has. Plenty of times I've seen this happen if a car has been standing for a couple of years.

Edited by Jamie5414

It hasn't seen the road for 6 years and has been started possibly twice a year in that time. I always made sure to unplug the HT leads and build up the oil pressure before starting it properly. It has fresh oil in at the moment as I serviced it before I started it up last to move it from my old lockup to the new one. (trailered it)

Do not flush your engine, Your oil pickup will get blocked and your engine will die from oil starvation.

That's true, but your talking serious sludge there to cause blockages, If it gets a oil change regularly with decent oil there will be no sludge therefore no blockage.

That's true, but your talking serious sludge there to cause blockages, If it gets a oil change regularly with decent oil there will be no sludge therefore no blockage.

each to their own - been on the starlet seen long enough to have seen many engine failures because of flushing - I strongly recommend you do not flush it and im sure many will agree.

the oil pickup in the sump is a gauze type pickup and can block up very very easily.

Edited by H_D

each to their own - been on the starlet seen long enough to have seen many engine failures because of flushing - I strongly recommend you do not flush it and im sure many will agree.

the oil pickup in the sump is a gauze type pickup and can block up very very easily.

just take the sump off, clear it out and everyones a winner :)

Ok, so a little update. I have checked all the tappets gap and they are all within tolerance. I also had a check to see if there were any cracks in the manifold but I couldn't see any. Would you guys agree that this may be a possible headgasket failure or something more serious? Maybe little ends are rattling?

• 4 weeks later...

been looking into this tapping noise and just been told today by the old toyota master tech in work that toyota had a tsb (technical service bulletin) in regards to tappet type sound from top of engine, its the injector pulsation noise. There is a pulsation damper you can apparently buy from toyota that goes on the end of the fuel rail and replaces the banjo bolt that connects the fuel rail and feed pipe. Will look into this more over the next few days and see about purchasing one at some stage to see if it makes much difference.

been looking into this tapping noise and just been told today by the old toyota master tech in work that toyota had a tsb (technical service bulletin) in regards to tappet type sound from top of engine, its the injector pulsation noise. There is a pulsation damper you can apparently buy from toyota that goes on the end of the fuel rail and replaces the banjo bolt that connects the fuel rail and feed pipe. Will look into this more over the next few days and see about purchasing one at some stage to see if it makes much difference.

Wow i never new this.

Good bit of info keep us posted on this.