Calum's Red N/A Beastie!

Ok so here it goes, here we have my 1998 N/A Toyota Starlet. It's been in the family since 2010 where my sister used it as her car for 3 years. Was then passed down to me to learn to drive in, I was always ashamed of it as it was very shoddy looking exterior wise with loads of dents scratches and sun faded paint (bonnet and roof were pink) and vowed I would scrap it as soon as I could!

However that is when the project began. The car was, and still is absolutely faultless mechanically and in the 4years we've had it only ever had to change some tyres and brake shoes. For this reason and after some thought I came to the conclusion it would be stupid to scrap such a reliable car, or pay £3000 for a common corsa or something that could break down after a few months of owning it, so why not just get it looking brand new again? This is one of the very few photos I have of the car before I started doing work to it as I simply felt no need to photograph it, as you can see lost a lot of the colour and there was a very large dent in the drivers side wing.

IMG_6403_zps168a394d.jpg

IMG_6505_zps7fa103c0.jpg

So first of all I wanted the car in showroom condition so I took it down to my dads friends bodyshop who gave it a full respray in toyota red and got rid of all the dents scratches and any blemishes in the body at all. Heres what it came back like

IMG_1071_zps1648ce5a.jpg

The car looked so much better already, literally looked like a brand new car! I was over the moon with it and it kind of inspired me to keep going with it, so I thought a new set of wheels is in order! Searched high and low until I saw a set i really liked which were actually coming off a glanza (Ross McSkimming's) So once they were collected they were fitted the next day and instantly made the car look a lot better.

Old wheels

IMG_1277_zps1301b456.jpg

New Wheels!

IMG_1281_zps033bec4e.jpg

That same day a splitter I had ordered online which had come off a Reanult Laguna arrived so I lined that up on the drive (with dvds lol) ready to be fitted the next day!

IMG_1282_zps7c937548.jpg

IMG_1283_zps11637d7f.jpg

So now that the splitter is fully fitted I also thought I'd put my new sqaure front plate on! I was also getting a new numberplate which has been in the family for around 19years so thought it would be fitting to put on my project car also considering "Calum" "CAZ" yeah...

IMG_1396_zps7bf0546f.jpg

IMG_1394_zpsf7d2943a.jpg

IMG_1397_zpsa6e43db1.jpg

IMG_1428_zps7cc54ea9.jpg

I've also fitted a new exhaust trim, (just a £30 one from halfords) Still not sure what I think of this so opinions would be much appreicated, it does stick out a bit and I don't want to chav it out if that makes sense..

IMG_1427_zps03d33000.jpg

IMG_1426_zpsbba97764.jpg

So yeah that's how the car is sitting right now. I'm handing it in today to get some new rails made and to get the old seats out in replace for some mint recaro fishnets out of an Ignis Sport, and I'm also getting the side strips taken off. I tried but left far too much tar and glue and even with tar remover and a lot of elbow grease was unable to get it off, so the tars getting machined off! I'll be updating a lot over the next few days once the seats are in and I'll get some better photos after I've given him a good polish! As none of these photos really portray how good this paint is!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

take the trim off and get a exhaust system made up in my opinion. Looks so much better after the respray though! Used to have an ignis sports and the seats in them are great, tempted to get some in the glanza

Yeah how much roughly would it cost do you reckon for a full system? I was lucky got the seats at a bargain, absolutely mint like brand new front and back seats for £140!

Loving the respray mate looks fresh as fuck, Defo needs a jap plate on the rear though. That will look better imo.

Imo im not a fan of the exhaust, i would recommend getting a bigger one, Looks and sounds so much better mate :)

Also maybe glanza rear spoiler, and clear side repeaters?

Keep the updates coming bud :)

looks really fesh mate.

A Northern Irish reg too.

Thanks dude! Yeah came on an old landrover my dad bought from NI way back many a year ago! Still in the family!

looks very familiar :D need to start shopping for mine,

You got some photos of yours dude really want to see it? :)

Loving the respray mate looks fresh as fuck, Defo needs a jap plate on the rear though. That will look better imo.

Imo im not a fan of the exhaust, i would recommend getting a bigger one, Looks and sounds so much better mate :)

Also maybe glanza rear spoiler, and clear side repeaters?

Keep the updates coming bud :)

Thanks man appreciate it!:) yeah I was thinking that might pick one up tomorrow! As for the exhaust I can definitely see me changing it in the future but as for now it's not a top priority, might just take the trim off and leave it looking standard, been looking for a glanza rear spoiler for a while now just need one that's not the other side of the country haha! Will do;)

looking good mate also i used to have an iron horse sunday as well great bikes im from kirkcaldy where about in fife are you from mate.

Thanks man! Yeah I'm still pretty into downhill had that bike for about a year now!:) I'm from Windygates mate just down the road! I work up at sainsburys in the retail park so spend most my time in Kirkcaldy as well!

looking good mate also i used to have an iron horse sunday as well great bikes im from kirkcaldy where about in fife are you from mate.

Thanks man! Yeah I'm still pretty into downhill had that bike for about a year now!:) I'm from Windygates mate just down the road! I work up at sainsburys in the retail park so spend most my time in Kirkcaldy as well!

Ah nice where about do you ride ive now got a canyon strive enduro bike. Will have to look out for you then ive never seen your car going about but thats probably because im never out in mine haha.

Usually up falkland man I'm a member up there, and occasionally pitmedden! Sweet! Hahaha yeah you'll need to start heading out in it more I've never seen yours! Always get excited when I see another starlet around fife

ah sweet ive been up there a few times youl know mitchell skene then. Yeah i need to start going out in it but the weathers normally shit so it sits in the garage most of the time haha and same here its cool seeing other starlets around.

ah sweet ive been up there a few times youl know mitchell skene then. Yeah i need to start going out in it but the weathers normally shit so it sits in the garage most of the time haha and same here its cool seeing other starlets around.

Yeah its a great place! spend most my summers living up there haha! yeah i know mitchell rode with him a few times! aye you should bud would be good to see it out! get some photos up!

Just a small update!

Removed the bumper strips finally! Still the original paint under there but is good enough not to need sprayed!

IMG_1525_zpsdb4f0718.jpg

IMG_1532_zps18e7483f.jpg

Also after having my new seats sitting in my room for around 2 weeks they are finally fitted! Recaro fishnets out of an Ignis Sport, super comfy and give loads of support in the corners! :D

IMG_1527_zpsd3162703.jpg

IMG_1526_zpsc35db149.jpg

Also got a new air freshener ;)

IMG_1529_zps8e254ad0.jpg

Expect another update tomorrow afternoon guys! :)

IMG_1539_zpsd75c57c8.jpg

Sweet mate, I really like the fishnets they go really well. Did you get the rails complete with them or did you modify the standard rails?

Thanks man! Yeah I love them!:) had to modify the standard rails as they were about half an inch out :/ didn't want to spend extra money on aftermarket rails when the standard ones were so close!

Edited by cgmp

Lovely work so far dude! IMO ditch the exhaust tip until you can afford a full system....i think im the only person in the starlet community who thinks the bumpstrips work lol, get a Glanza rear bumper on there, de-wiper the boot and tint the rear and side quaters if your keeping the fugly back seats!

The fishnets look mint too! :)

Keep it up!

Definately needs some springs.. (im selling ones which would make it look 10x better)

and red EP91's are sexual. Especially glanza reps.

I'm actually in the process of getting new springs dude!:) yeah they're getting rarer though:/ not sure if I want to rep mines don't want to look like it's trying to be something it's not, if that makes sense

Lovely work so far dude! IMO ditch the exhaust tip until you can afford a full system....i think im the only person in the starlet community who thinks the bumpstrips work lol, get a Glanza rear bumper on there, de-wiper the boot and tint the rear and side quaters if your keeping the fugly back seats!

The fishnets look mint too! :)

Keep it up!

Yeah the trims coming off tomorrow I've decided! Just annoying at the moment as it looks quite sporty with the wheels/ splitter etc then just a standard exhaust:( ah well each to their own! I just like it as it tidys it up a bit more:) keep your eyes peeled for tomorrow's update then!;) thanks man

Updates are good buddy!! :)

Cheers dude!

looks sweet bud :) im crying inside because my red ones gunna be written off next week i imagine :(

Thanks!:) that's rubbish how did that happen?

Ok sorry for the delayed update haven't had time to do much recently, thought I'd add this in though as I've had my windows and rear lights tinted! Need opinions of where to go next with this! :D

IMG_1587_zps3ddc759a.jpg

IMG_1583_zpsba65b3ab.jpg

IMG_1585_zps6c1c5827.jpg

IMG_1582_zps713ba7cf.jpg

IMG_1581_zpsf7c6319f.jpg

also have to apologise as I'm beginning to realise all my photos are in the same position on the drive! so ill need to start taking more when im out and about so it's not as mind numbingly boring! :)