Subwoofer & Radio suggestions

Heya lads, just bought a starlet and looking around for a good radio and a sub, it's already got good speakers but the guy I bought the car off of took his sub and radio which is fine, so can anyone give me some good suggestions? So me pictures would help...

Cheers - Jack

You posted in the wrong section lol.

Pick a radio single or double din. Subs weigh your car down but if you want one just get something small and tidy

Ahh yeah haha dunno where to post this tbh.. I don't want anything big, just something to gimmie some bass

I got mad for the bass i went top of the range with JL audio 2x 12" twin in the boot. I no longer have a boot 😂 puts out some bass tho does weight 30kg in total but I don't mind the weight best bet is a sub and amp serpents a lot more work but in my opinion looks better I fitted my amp under passenger seat, easy to wire up throught the door skirts or you can get a sub with built in amp few mates have these still pretty decent gives a good kick good makes are like JL audio, Rockford, alpine, kenwood, infinity, I wouldn't recommend getting cheap vibe or fussion one no good in my opinion and for head unit don't need anything special I got sony one £100 with aux USB Bluetooth depends what perks you want with it just be sure it has at least one pre-out put

And good watts out put mines 4x52 watts but can't turn it up full, to power ful for my front speakers which are 4" alpines 👍

I've always liked alpine myself. A good Japanese radio. I've had various setups back when I had my old cars. To be honest the best "bang for buck" must have been my 10" vibe active sub. This was linked up to my alpine head unit with 4x60w out put and 4v pre outs with a s/n ratio of around 100db. Sounded really clear with just the right amount of bass. Didn't have to have the gain as high on the active sub due to the 4v preout. Would have another tomorrow as I'm a bit of a audiophile lol.

A really good alternative to a sub is the vibe black death 6x9,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251424666947?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Have had them before and must say they really are the best that you can get without the need for an amp, however if you really want a sub and amp then best to go for a pretty good 10" like alpine type r, jl audio w3/4/5.

I have a 12" magnet sub that is sat in a type r 12" ported with an alpine v12 4ch amp bridged to give more power, have not got it in the SR yet as thinking of getting an under seat one as it will weigh 15 kilo's less, may put my sub/amp/box up for sale to get one!

Andy

:thumbsup:

A really good alternative to a sub is the vibe black death 6x9,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251424666947?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Have had them before and must say they really are the best that you can get without the need for an amp, however if you really want a sub and amp then best to go for a pretty good 10" like alpine type r, jl audio w3/4/5.

I have a 12" magnet sub that is sat in a type r 12" ported with an alpine v12 4ch amp bridged to give more power, have not got it in the SR yet as thinking of getting an under seat one as it will weigh 15 kilo's less, may put my sub/amp/box up for sale to get one!

Andy

:thumbsup:

I would personally avoid these speakers like the plague. I bought 2 pairs brand new, wired them up properly, turned them up to about 1/4 on the amp (so they were a decent listening volume, not particularly loud) and after 15 mins, they started pouring out smoke. There is no possibility that I wired them incorrectly, or exceeded the power ratings.

I then bought 2 pairs of Infinity Reference 6x9s and they have happily been running for years turned up a LOT higher...

This is only my experience, and perhaps I got extremely unlucky by having 2 pairs from the same "bad batch" but I would never touch these speakers again. Apart from this, Vibe stuff is generally quite good for the price although it is definitely towards the budget end of the market.

---

If you want a good Active Sub (i.e. has a built-in amplifier), I would recommend the Vibe CBR 12 Evo - good quality, ridiculous volume and reasonable price tag. Just don't bother with the twin one - incredible volume but sacrifices quality...

Edited by sdutton007