RUNNING PROBLEM NEED ADVICE Please

Hi all right ive got a problem with my engine long story short recently my headgasket went so I got the head skimmed last week bought a new HG from Toyota put it back together last night went to the car this morning checked everthing over to make sure it was right timing marks were spot on did a compression test cold I got 140 on all 4 I put new ngk iridium plugs in turned key it fired straight away it sounded mint running on all 4 I let it tick over for 20 mins then as soon as I touched the throttle its sounds abit rough then ok then it cut out it fired up straight away then cut out a few seconds later any help would be great thanks do new plugs come pre gapped or do I have to set my self

Edited by ep82paul

well for a start 140 across all four is awful and u should have 170 ish plus over them.indicates a rebuild is long overdue unfortunatley

and spark plugs do usually just work out of the box and that doesnt sound like thats the reason for your running issues.

Edited by mikey4410

as above, warm and make sure you pull the EFI relay and have WOT "wide open throttle" too.. and just to add, 140 across all 4 is not bad, my engine was 135 across all 4 and it was perfect... although it should be reading higher if the head was skimmed, unless the HG is thicker than stock

Edited by corofin12345

Havent left the water temp sensor plug off when you had the head off did you?

no water temp plug in temp gauge works went down to start it this morning fired up straight away pulled car out garage drove it up and down road ran mint till it got warm then it starts to splutters if i rev it past 2thou revs it clears up back off the throttle then splutters again only does it when its warm

Check the TPS and coolant temp sensor.

what do i look for on the tps sensor broken wires dodgy connectors the water temp sensor is that in the block at the front on dizzy side because there is another 3sensors underneath the thermostat housing still learning on these starlets lol

Water temp sensor isn't the single wire one for the dash gauge but the green plug two wire that runs to the ecu. One wire is signal earth, other runs to THW on the ecu.

I don't think it will be the TPS as on most 4efte's its only a switch style TPS for off idle and not a variable signal (like 4ages for example). It would happen all the time and not just if its cold.

Have you checked all the plugs/leads/rotor/dizzy cap etc?