PowerFC vs Wolf V4X

As above guys will be fitting/sorting out an ECU Come payday and have a couple of options.

First on my list is the Wolf V4X From TD fitted and mapped for £1495. Im aware this is a very modern, fantastic ecu and would be my first choice for a nice tune etc etc.

However they are based about 3 to 3 1/2 Hours from me and this can be a problem if i want future maps etc or have any problems

Another option for me is a PowerFC And using a tuner literally 15minutes from me, who has massive expierence in these ECUs and anything else for that matter.

What are peoples opinions on this? Will cost me slightly less to get the PowerFC but thats not really the issue, im more interested in it being safe first and foremost

Spec is Forged 5E With ported head, 9.1Comp pistons, VF35 Billet turbo etc etc

To note also im not chasing figures, this is purely for it being a decent map!

Thanks

Chris

how are the features on both ecu's ? are they similar ? i was also thinking this and thought that the wolf ecu is new to me personally in terms of td are the only people i know who have it and map it etc but the apexi is tried and tested but if we stick this way we will never move forward in a tuneing sence

for ease though the apexi wins hands down if the guy that is good with them in minutes away as opposed to hours

Can't fault TD in my opinion, customer service is second to none, I don't know this other company but if it was me I would be willing to travel double that to take my car to them, awesome guys up there, they will always be on hand at any time any question you have, drop mike a message and ask him the pros and cons of both ecu's and I'm sure he would be happy to help. There not about getting your money but advising what is best for your engine

how are the features on both ecu's ? are they similar ? i was also thinking this and thought that the wolf ecu is new to me personally in terms of td are the only people i know who have it and map it etc but the apexi is tried and tested but if we stick this way we will never move forward in a tuneing sence

for ease though the apexi wins hands down if the guy that is good with them in minutes away as opposed to hours

Tbh im not too sure im going to have a look into it but i assume the Wolf has many more features with it being newer i suppose but idk

And yeh the local lad has a lot of expierence with everything really, from RS4 Twin turbo race cars to MR2 Turbos and scoobs etc... Usually specializes in motec, emerald, dta etc etc but does powerfcs mainly for the jap lot

Can't fault TD in my opinion, customer service is second to none, I don't know this other company but if it was me I would be willing to travel double that to take my car to them, awesome guys up there, they will always be on hand at any time any question you have, drop mike a message and ask him the pros and cons of both ecu's and I'm sure he would be happy to help. There not about getting your money but advising what is best for your engine

I cant fault them whatsoever always bend over backwards to help me out, top guys.

And i would travel anywhere really but its if i have any problems, future mods i need the map adjusting for, and a few other reasons mainly not just the initial mapping

The likelihood that anything will go wrong is very slim, and for how often you will need a tweet of your map surely it is worth it for the excellent job they do?

Yeh i know it is dude, im not doubting the ecu or TD whatsoever, its just a trek compared to a 15minute drive to someone i know personally and can see the results he has done previously (Same as TD As well i suppose) And i dont know really if i have a change of plan etc then it would need tweaking.

Wolf ecus are far superior, the apexI is 20 year old technology and on not of thing's 3 1/2 hours isn't a lot really

Im guessing the injector mapping is far superior etc? However they both use the stock looms which is surely half the battle anyway if your using old toyota sensors.

All im wondering is will i see a big difference in driveability and or power if i jumped to a wolf setup, i can find much info on the wolfs on the internet

For example and EMB Is 12x12 fuel maps, EMU Is 16x16 And power FC Is 20x20, And an EMU Does a good job for most setups around 300hp? Im not chasing figures

I would stay away from the Apexi tbh, very old, no safety features etc.

Why not have a look round where you are to see what other tuners like to map? Might be the case of saving yourself a long journey (not taking anything away from TD) and still getting the same result.

I don't know a lot about the Wolf but from what I've seen it's sensor/output control is very good.

I wouldn't get too strung up on map resolution imo, lets be honest its a road car which is likely to spend most of its time below 5000rpm, roughly 10 map points (if using 500rpm increments). Therefore the top end can be auto-tuned or calculated.

DTA, Omex, Haltech, Link, Emerald, AEM, KMS, Life Racing (releasing new cheap model). So many to choose from that any competent standalone tuner will be able to map comfortably.

Edited by AdamB

PowerFC's are good. I loved mine. The Commander is also nice to get live data feeds into the car!

Imo though, if you have a decent tuner local, see what they prefer or recommend!

Failing that if you don't mind travelling, get down to TD for there Wolf Package!

If you don't want to really mess with the car, then go with the PFC. Plug and play, so in any case you just go back to stock.

You can make very good tune on PFC. Its just a good use like a runnable stock ecu. Nothing more nothing less.

Get in touch with Future Motorsports and ask for Bijal, developed a semi plug and play AEM stand alone ECU. It's the AEM EMS-4, some awesome features on there, including safety features such as oil pressure too low blah blah

Get in touch with Future Motorsports and ask for Bijal, developed a semi plug and play AEM stand alone ECU. It's the AEM EMS-4, some awesome features on there, including safety features such as oil pressure too low blah blah

This is what I am having fitted to my V.

Hopefully get the car back in a month or 2.

Hows you car coming along Jamie have you got it back yet?

Original plan was what my local tuner preffered but he wants 2200 fitted and mapped for a DTA S40. This includes removing old loom, trigger wheel fitted and dizzy removal and coilpacks etc however so unsure what togo for, what do people think of that?

Did notice a thread about the AEM a while ago, any idea on cost etc for it jamie, HD??

I like the PFC idea but yeh it is old school, but local tuner is what appeals to me and my setup also. Decisions!! Wouldnt mind a nice fancy one but whether i need one or not is a different matter

PowerFC's are good. I loved mine. The Commander is also nice to get live data feeds into the car!

Imo though, if you have a decent tuner local, see what they prefer or recommend!

Failing that if you don't mind travelling, get down to TD for there Wolf Package!

I'm with Socks on this, love being able to monitor things with the commander.

Original plan was what my local tuner preffered but he wants 2200 fitted and mapped for a DTA S40. This includes removing old loom, trigger wheel fitted and dizzy removal and coilpacks etc however so unsure what togo for, what do people think of that?

Did notice a thread about the AEM a while ago, any idea on cost etc for it jamie, HD??

I like the PFC idea but yeh it is old school, but local tuner is what appeals to me and my setup also. Decisions!! Wouldnt mind a nice fancy one but whether i need one or not is a different matter

You need to discuss pricing with Bijal @ futuremotorsport.

Thats mega considering the DTA unit itself can be had £500ish.