DIY Rim Refurb?

I picked up some cheap mr2 alloys for my GT last week, that deffo could do with a refurb, and paint.

I was just wondering whether it would be worth doing this myself? I've never done this before, but I'm a quick learner, and can pick up most DIY things quite fast, as long as I have a tutorial.

Is it worth having a shot at this, or would I be better off sending them somewhere to be refurbed?

Thanks

Are these the 5 spoke mr2 wheels or the old pepperpot ones? If the old ones I'd do it myself. I did a set of my speed lines that were kerbed to buggery with an angle grinder but they have a small lip.

The new ones which have a nice smooth edge and no lip will be hard to get right imo so would have them done properly.

hmm cool. I've seen a couple of places on ebay with a similar special offer for the same price. My GTs only a weekend warrior budget build lol, so the cheaper the better really, as I'm not after a mega perfect finish.

Id just do a DIY job mate I have done loads if sets and can get a spot on finish on them , keep them in a warm place when you spray them use a heater etc, and use primer, paint and a few coats of lacquer and jobs a good un, obviously sand them down and get all the Grease of otherwise paint will react :)

If you can get them done professionally for cheap enough then that would be best but you can still get a good finish and save money doing it yourself.

I did a set of wheels myself a while ago, just rubbed them down then used primer and black paint from halfords. Never even used lacquer and they still looked good 2 years later.

depends on what condition the wheels are in. paint stripper, a welding kit and a grinder or files to deal with kirbing (could use metal filler for cosmetic damage), paint. i needed a hammer to knock some bends out of mine.

Here are the rims I've got peeps. Can take some closer pics to give you a better idea if need be.

As you can see the spokes are ok, its mainly just the corrosion behind them, and the curbing on the outer rim.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-Alloy-Wheels-Original-OEM-15-With-Tyres-1-8-VVTI-/191059831694?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=I%252B6ieLBZq%252BhkBnm13gHR02z6PXA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Edited by Djaniero

Don't mean to hi jack thread but I'm planning on doing it only thing is the rim of my alloy is chrome would like to spray it a diff colour with black spokes which also would need painted would I beable to just sand the chrome down with wet and dry and spray it?

Haven't got any primer paint or lacquer any recommendations anyone?

Cheers

Edited by Dusty

Sandblasting is the surefire answer to old unwanted finish lol, but youve gotta have access to one which is easier said than done for most. not dealt with chrome before, so i dunno how else youd get it off without damaging the metal under it.