Running an open turbo

Really wanna mesh my turbo but will this not cause boost creep??

You'll probably get boost creep mate, will be certain with an aftermarket exhaust as well.

I wouldn't advise mesh in any case what so ever, the dirt and shit that get sucked into the engine turns into a grinding paste which won't be doing your piston rings, cylinder walls, piston skirts, valve seats and valves any good.

You'll probably get boost creep mate, will be certain with an aftermarket exhaust as well.

I wouldn't advise mesh in any case what so ever, the dirt and shit that get sucked into the engine turns into a grinding paste which won't be doing your piston rings, cylinder walls, piston skirts, valve seats and valves any good.

Cheers dude, read up quite a bit on this and that is the first I've heard of it! Will take it into consideration! Surly a really fine mesh would prevent that?

It doesn't really matter whether its fine or not, dirt particles are carried through the air. The way I see it is that manufacturers spend millions of pounds a year on research into filters making them flow well and filter, why spend £2 to fuck it all up? The restriction a branded air filter makes these days is very little and the power you would get from running without a filter probably around 2bhp, you'll soon claw that 2bhp after 500 miles without running a filter through worn piston rings.

Even racing engines use air filters and their run on supposedly a clean smooth track, they value their engines and their only run for a for what a total of say 2000 miles a season including testing and qualifying etc. I would like to see a the inside of a road engine thats been run in traffic, round dirty country lanes, behind other cars etc which has been run without a filter.

It really depends how much you value performance over reliability at the end of the day. Just my opinion :)

Edited by AdamB

You'll make more power running a decent filter setup then running the turbo open. Most people who run open/meshed turbos on ep's don't add in any kind of ducting, so the turbo is just sucking up warm air from the bay.

Decent filter relocated to the front, with decent airflow will give much better results.