Running an open turbo

I've had mine meshed and with all the bad weather I had dirty water getting in the turbo witch has blown the seals! Trust me use a filter until at least summer else you'll be rebuilding your turbo every two months

Had mine meshed for 4 nearly 5 months. Without a issue (touch wood)

I also know a friend with a EVO who has an open meshed turbo for over 2 years, mental scoops in the bonnet and still no issues.

You can't put blowing the turbo seals down to water ingression.. Might of just came to the end of its life?

I would advise a filter, as you can see how dirty they can get only after a few thousand miles.

It's not just the case of the turbo fins being damaged, that dirt or damaged fin can potentially end up going in the engine.

You still get chatter with a filter relocation kit, so i don't see the pros of mesh.

Apexi filter are the best in my opinion

I would advise a filter, as you can see how dirty they can get only after a few thousand miles.

It's not just the case of the turbo fins being damaged, that dirt or damaged fin can potentially end up going in the engine.

You still get chatter with a filter relocation kit, so i don't see the pros of mesh.

Apexi filter are the best in my opinion

I agree with this even though it's all running fine that dirt is thicking with the oil and floating around the engine it's not worth it imo

Mines been open for a year and a bit now, driven in heavy downpours and snow and even the occasional huge puddle turbos been perfect and still is.

Seeing that you're approving it should be enough evidence that it's safe to do so.

I was planning on doing this when the weather got a bit better as my filter looks pretty knackered.

• 1 month later...