Anyone into Moto X Or Pit Bikes, or Motorbikes in General?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20140211_212856_zps0f7973a0.jpg

something for you to drool over ;) pics do it no justice. not a beginners bike though, 55 brake at the back wheel is a handful

My old man's got a road legal crf 250 and misses dad has a crf 250 2x crf 450 and a road legal 250

I've had cr125 cr250 kx125 rm125 tm125 xr400 dt200 yzf426 yzf450 and ktm sx125

Cool...so using good oil is a must really.

Trying to steer clear of the pit bikes now after reading this.

What about protective gear? Obviously helmet and boots but what else will i need?

@Flynn - you hit the nail on the head...really dont wonna become a hooligan on the roads...but after watchin some vids of sms on youtube...like you said its looks like its quite easy to get carried away lol.

Was your on road crash caused by another driver?

Loving the bikes above...especially the cfr450...mega droool...how long were you riding for before until you moved onto that bike garrygt?

Edited by Djaniero

You need helmets, gloves, top, trousers, boots body armour and goggles you can get gear cheap enough I use dirtbike express for most my gear, and Silkolene 2 stroke oil at 14.99 a bottle

Older bikes can be just as reliable and as good to ride as the newer bikes if set up right

protective gear wise i would go for full motocross gear, as it allows more movement and stretch than your normal clothes. a full armour top aswell as a helmet should be fine for what you will be doing. also proper boots are a must. you will kill your ankles and feet without them. you can also get all sorts of neck braces and other braces but they arnt needed unless your racing as they are very expensive. I've had bikes for years mate....although i sold my last bike 2 years ago and massively regretted it so i went and bought the 450. I've always been very confident on a bike though, took me no time to get it sussed again lol

Any older bike that's been looked after will be just as reliable as any newer bike I've never had new bikes always had ones a few years old at the time but now just have a 2003 ktm and it never goes wrong so does me proud

Here's a few of what I've had when growing up and a few pit bikes I went threw a moment of collecting

My ktm

IMG_20140308_114415.jpg

My dads road legal crf I've used aswell

IMG_20140223_112324.jpg

A 1991 m125 I restored

IMG_161889854487398.jpeg

My old tm125 from years ago

IMG_161745360618391.jpeg

My old cr250 and kx125 I had when 15

IMG_161742222477767.jpeg

Yzf 426

IMG_161978630357208.jpeg

Pitbikes

IMG_162061244151915.jpeg

IMG_162073104031078.jpeg

IMG_162096232028152.jpeg

Xr400

inIMG_162557775471362.jpeg

I have raced motocross since I was 14

Wining the Scottish championship in the 85sw class in a cr85 and the big wheel class in a honda crf150, I then moved to a ktm sx125 winning that class aswell, then I decided to get a sxf250 fuel injected and rode that 2 times then I destroyed my knee so had to give up motocross and now I rally instead, between these bikes I have had many pitbikes aswell to mess about on

protective gear wise i would go for full motocross gear, as it allows more movement and stretch than your normal clothes. a full armour top aswell as a helmet should be fine for what you will be doing. also proper boots are a must. you will kill your ankles and feet without them. you can also get all sorts of neck braces and other braces but they arnt needed unless your racing as they are very expensive. I've had bikes for years mate....although i sold my last bike 2 years ago and massively regretted it so i went and bought the 450. I've always been very confident on a bike though, took me no time to get it sussed again lol

I don't intend to do any races dude....just want a bike to ride on the fields for fun really....I very much doubt I'll even make it to an mx track lol.

So deffo helmet, boots, gloves and body armour?

Are the 450s easy to ride once you've had a good few years experience? They look like a right handful to ride lol.

Any older bike that's been looked after will be just as reliable as any newer bike I've never had new bikes always had ones a few years old at the time but now just have a 2003 ktm and it never goes wrong so does me proud

Here's a few of what I've had when growing up and a few pit bikes I went threw a moment of collecting

My ktm

IMG_20140308_114415.jpg

My dads road legal crf I've used aswell

IMG_20140223_112324.jpg

A 1991 m125 I restored

IMG_161889854487398.jpeg

My old tm125 from years ago

IMG_161745360618391.jpeg

My old cr250 and kx125 I had when 15

IMG_161742222477767.jpeg

Yzf 426

IMG_161978630357208.jpeg

Pitbikes

IMG_162061244151915.jpeg

IMG_162073104031078.jpeg

IMG_162096232028152.jpeg

Xr400

inIMG_162557775471362.jpeg

You've had shitloads of bikes mate....How much was the RM? Would something like that be a good bike to start on? Also were the pit bikes crf50 or crf70 frames?

I have raced motocross since I was 14

Wining the Scottish championship in the 85sw class in a cr85 and the big wheel class in a honda crf150, I then moved to a ktm sx125 winning that class aswell, then I decided to get a sxf250 fuel injected and rode that 2 times then I destroyed my knee so had to give up motocross and now I rally instead, between these bikes I have had many pitbikes aswell to mess about on

What pit bikes did you have man? Any pics?

I don't intend to do any races dude....just want a bike to ride on the fields for fun really....I very much doubt I'll even make it to an mx track lol.

So deffo helmet, boots, gloves and body armour?

Are the 450s easy to ride once you've had a good few years experience? They look like a right handful to ride lol.

You've had shitloads of bikes mate....How much was the RM? Would something like that be a good bike to start on? Also were the pit bikes crf50 or crf70 frames?

What pit bikes did you have man? Any pics?

The rm I paid £200 for as a wreck and spent a couple days fixing it up and sold for £750 and all the pit bikes had crf70 frames tbh they were all Shite apart from the green hustle bike it actually had loads of expensive parts and was a tuned oil cooler 140 engine in it

What condition was it in when you got it as a wreck, and how much did you end up spending on it to get it that condition again? Feel free to pm me dude.

I wouldnt mind getting a wreck/project bike and doing it up. Least that way I'm learning how they're put together and work :)

My love for pit bikes is slowly but surely fading lol.

What condition was it in when you got it as a wreck, and how much did you end up spending on it to get it that condition again? Feel free to pm me dude.

I wouldnt mind getting a wreck/project bike and doing it up. Least that way I'm learning how they're put together and work :)

My love for pit bikes is slowly but surely fading lol.

It ran fine just looked awfull so I got new plastics, seat cover, graphics and bearings came to about 250 spent on it

I had an xsport stomp and some Chinese one, tbh I think there all shite there just for abit of fun but as I'm 6"3 they kill my hips and legs,

If I was you I would start on a 125! They can take a serious amount of abuse and I like it better than the 250 because there a lot lighter and I think a lot more fun to ride and throw about,

I have been to many test days and been on every make of 125 appart from tm, my favourite was and is still the ktm125 but 2007 and newer as they done a lot of changes in the frame and suspension in 2007 and there excellent bikes !

I would stay away from 250 2strokes as they will rip your arms off haha !

And 450 4strokes are heavy and if they go bang it will be expensive

I rode a ktm sxf 350 and 450 at the ride day and compared to a 125 and 250 there is a considerable weight difference

They were 2012 models also as that's the year I stopped, my 250 was a 2011 model (the first efi model)

See now I was always told to start riding on a four stroke because unlike a two they are easier because you dont have to rev the bollocks off them plus you dont have the power bands they just have all the power there therefore easier to ride, two bangers are a damn site more fun and sound the bollocks but my mate had a cr80 the original red rocket and it was racetuned by Vic Eastwood and apart from me nobody would get on it because unlike the four strokes it was so violent. We did a speed run on it and apparently clocked me at 90 mph on it but I layed off, would probz go a bit more :p thing was an animal :p

The only thing with 2 strokes is if you ride like a granny you will foul up a few plugs but that's all, other than that it's ok, pull in the clutch and give it a few good revs and you will clear the plug out!

I love riding 2 strokes over 4 strokes but that's personal preference I suppose