Anyone into Moto X Or Pit Bikes, or Motorbikes in General?

Been toying with the idea of getting a supermoto for a while. But each time I get close to actually getting one, someone always puts me off with a horror story, of someone who came off one, and got severely injured...or worse case died.

Anyway, was in a bike shop last week, and one of the guys who worked in there suggested getting an off road bike...said they can be just as dangerous, but he personally prefers to ride off road,as they're no crazy drivers about.

So got looking into 125 crossers....thought they would be a good bike to start with? Then I stumbled across pit bikes. I thought maybe a pit bike would be better?

1. for storage reasons, and 2. I could transport it in the back of my car if I needed to drive an offroad track etc.

Anyways, just wanted to get your opinion on this, what dyou think I should go for?

Supermoto Road Bike, Motocross, or pit bike. Bear in mind I have only ridden crappy rev and go 50s in the past lol. But I'd be more than willing to do my license to get the right bike 8)

I don't plan to use the bike to commute....just as a weekend toy.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pit bikes are fun but the novelty wears off quick.

If it was me I'd get a super moto with off road wheels as well. The thing with 125's you have to rev the hell out of them every where. I never bothered with one and went from my 50 super moto to my 250 enduro. Also with off road bike you can get out the way and mess out with out being reported for doing silly thing lol

Turbo grant is into his bikes as is/was mr moss in his younger days lol (he is getting old bless him)

lol...hope he sees this thread, and gives me some input.

Pit bikes are fun but the novelty wears off quick.

If it was me I'd get a super moto with off road wheels as well. The thing with 125's you have to rev the hell out of them every where. I never bothered with one and went from my 50 super moto to my 250 enduro. Also with off road bike you can get out the way and mess out with out being reported for doing silly thing lol

Yeah, was thinking for the price I'm gonna pay for a good 140 crf70 size framed pit bike....I could get a bigger bike.

What 50 supermoto did you have? I can ride a 50 with a cbt right?

See your point....best of both worlds then. The only other thing I'm thinking with an offroad bike...theres nowhere to ride it locally. Closest place is like an hour a way....kinda kills it because theres loads of fields etc close by...but the cops usually chase the local moto x dudes on the drzs lol....don't fancy getting arrested.

I've had endless amounts of pitbikes not the Chinese Shite and even still if it don't break you get bored, I got a ktm sx125 and love it to bits, touch wood it's not gone wrong yet, and reason I use 125 Its light and starts easy when your warn out and still keeps up with bigger bikes, I've just done a enduro and most the 4 stroke riders where either stalling and can't start or having trouble on the boggy hills(not shore why though)

See I've had pit bikes all my life and my mates have had a couple of bigger bikes and after riding them I loved my pit bike, yeah its small and cramped and can give you the worlds worst cramp ever !!! But they are just more fun plus where we were riding them the bigger bikes couldn't always get where I was going:) and you can get on road pit bikes :) just for a small not you can ride a 125 on a cbt aswell :)

I had a honda Cr85 when i was 14. Ended up with a 125 engine after one of my mate blew the engine :/

Anyway, long story short you can have great craic offroad. I used to use mine every day but i live in the Country in Ireland :p

Ended up with a hairline fracture on my spine, which was bruised to c7 (a third way down your back), a snapped collar bone which almost punctured my lung and meant i had to be airlifted via helicopter, badly bruised legs and scratches everywhere.

I was saved by my helmet which had very deep gashes all over it and the rest of my gear which i had just bought new was cut off me.

What im trying to say is get one for the fun of it, but you wont find it fun driving like a granny on a honda 50.

Doing 90+mph when i hit the ditch is what got my adrenaline going. You just have to be aware of the consequences :)

On a cbt you can ride up to a 125 with so much bhp or something. You want a 125 2-stroke to start with, trouble is the prices are getting higher on the old 2 strokes now. Dtr125 are popular, few if my mates have them. All the new ones are 4-stroke and not very exciting. The bike rules are rubbish now. I had my 250 on the road at 17, full licence at 19 lol a full size bike . I go out for the whole day on my bike covering miles. You need to find byways round where you live and make some route up. I'm quite lucky having lots of good areas round me. It's gone down hill in the last 6 years. Nearly all the unpaved byways have changed to restricted byways! But if you get a sm you can have just as much fun on the roads

Edited by turbo Grant

Sx cr yz rm tm 125

Is a very good starting point 250 4ts are the same class but heavy more costly to buy and maintain where as a 2t can be maintained and rebuilt easily by an amatuer.

And when hot 4 strokes don't like starting.

I had a KTM 85sx when I was 13 and loved it and kept it till I was 17 until I could drive, sold it and bought a car. Defoo gonna buy another one but as i'm older i'd get most likely a KTM 250sx or a YZ 250 for sure.

I'v always had 2 strokes except for a had a few pit bikes and a quad all 4 strokes and they where solid, but you can't have more fun than a 2 stroke :) and when the powerbands come in :p jhzz lol front wheel just lifts through all the gears lol

Go for a 250 2 stroke if you have the experience to ride them and get the most out of them or go for a 125. Still really quick bikes :)

Thanks for the info guys.

So i'd be better to start off witha 125 2 stroke if possible?

How easy are they to work on? What sort of security Did you guys have on your bikes?

Lastly with a cbt i d be able to ride up to a 125 on the road?

Enduro riders prefer 2 smokes over 4 bangers, as ben said they are lighter and easier to start if/when cut out.

4 strokes aren't supposed to be left ticking over or on stand still for long periods of time. They boil over very quickly once hot.

Stay away from Suzuki lol, gearbox's made of pure cheese.

I've got a 2010 crf450 and i love it. its stupidly fast though so wouldnt recommend one as a first bike. as said start of with a 125 2 smoker. it will build your confidence over time so you could move on to a bigger bike

Crf450 looks like a beeeeast!!!

Cool, so start off with a 125...how much should I be looking to spend on my first bike?

Any advice on buying a used bike...like what to look out for?

If your getting a 2stroke check for any signs of a rebuild or piston kit receipt, also compression as 2 stroke mx bikes are known to go bang, you can get a decent bike for 1k these days but also check wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, head set bearings, fork seals and rear shock as being a mx bike most have had a hard life even when looked after

Thanks Ben.

If thee engine was to go bang are they simple enough to work on? I'm got a small selection of tools, and I'm a quick learner.

Also, what security would you recommend, i.e. padlocks etc?

Thanks Ben.

If thee engine was to go bang are they simple enough to work on? I'm got a small selection of tools, and I'm a quick learner.

Also, what security would you recommend, i.e. padlocks etc?

2 strokes are very simple to rebuild, but a full rebuild ends up expensive in parts, I normally tend to put a piston kit in after about 5-10 rides and run 25-1 oil mix and normally change gear box oil every ride but been slack on it lately

Keeping the bike maintained will help keep it going longer

Aset for security mines locked up in my garage but mx bikes are easy to steal and a easy target so the more locks you got the better as they get stolen alot

Edited by Glanza-Ben

Love my motocross bike been doing since I was 6. You will have fun on any proper dirt bike.

Don't waste your time with those wanky pit bikes. Riding them things is like having unsatisfing sex!! Pointless!!

Love my motocross bike been doing since I was 6. You will have fun on any proper dirt bike.

Don't waste your time with those wanky pit bikes. Riding them things is like having unsatisfing sex!! Pointless!!

haha that is very true. stay away from pitbikes they are useless. u could pick up a decent 125 for anything from 600 up depending on the age etc. my advice would be spend about a grand and you wont go far wrong. as said look for signs of rebuild etc. 2 strokes are very straight forward to sort anyway

2 strokes are very simple to rebuild, but a full rebuild ends up expensive in parts, I normally tend to put a piston kit in after about 5-10 rides and run 40-1 oil mix and normally change gear box oil every ride but been slack on it lately

Keeping the bike maintained will help keep it going longer

Aset for security mines locked up in my garage but mx bikes are easy to steal and a easy target so the more locks you got the better as they get stolen alot

How much are the piston kits to buy? Thats another thing, with the 40-1 mix...how do I make sure I'm mixing the right amount of fuel and oil?

What bike have you got at the moment ?

haha that is very true. stay away from pitbikes they are useless. u could pick up a decent 125 for anything from 600 up depending on the age etc. my advice would be spend about a grand and you wont go far wrong. as said look for signs of rebuild etc. 2 strokes are very straight forward to sort anyway

lol I've just been offered an evo pit bike today for peanuts....so not a good idea even as an intro back before I get a bigger sized 125?

I've got a crf450r supermoto race bike and a husqvarna 450smr for the road, not gonna lie, I've come off both pretty hard (broken bones) but they're awesome fun! Personally I'm done with the road and bikes it's just too crowded and people suck at driving!

They are also big time licence losers, way to easy to put up on the back wheel and they turn even the most sensible riders into hooligans!

When you learn to back one into corners you won't look back!

How much are the piston kits to buy? Thats another thing, with the 40-1 mix...how do I make sure I'm mixing the right amount of fuel and oil?

What bike have you got at the moment ?

lol I've just been offered an evo pit bike today for peanuts....so not a good idea even as an intro back before I get a bigger sized 125?

Piston kits can be between 60-120 really depending on make of them also the size etc, a EVO pitbikes is good for a laugh but will soon get bored of it

stick away from pitbikes mate it will only cause u problems. get a bike that will last. as for 2 stroke oil use a decent full synthetic brand. i used putoline back when i had my 125. i ran it at 25ml to 1 litre. so for every 5 litres of fuel you use 125mls of oil. worked perfect for me and the bike ran sweet as a nut