My first fight UPDATED FIGHT NIGHT DONE!

Alright lads been training in mma for around 6 months on and off now, and my gym have started a program with a company called fight uk.

Anybody can sign up no matter of age or ability, they provide 8 weeks free training and come the end of the 8 weeks your matched against somebody of the same weight and ability in a fight.

In the fight you have to wear head guards and shin guards, there will also be no elbows at all and no knee's to the head.

The fight itself will be 3 - 2 minute rounds, with a minute break between rounds.

Have any of you fought before in mma? Or any thing similar and can offer me some advice?

I'm training very hard for this as I obviously don't want to loose infront of all my friends and family!

Cheers lads

Edited by Jim*

Aup mate I was an amature boxer for 3 n half years had 4 fights and lost 1 as I felt I was unevenly matched with my last fight but hey shit happens best advise I can give you mate is just keep your nerve it's a very scary thing knowing your gunna knock lumps out of eatchother for the next 6 mins haha and don't go all out in the first round my first fight the lad come out like a bull in a china shop tried to down me straight away and faild then he was fucked so gave me a chance to pummle him lol just don't worry about your friends and family just keep focused on what you have to do inside the ring if you think about all those people watching you it will be a lot harder for you to concentrate and when your in the ring you can here everything people are saying about you so block that out aswell good luck dude :)

Agree with the above try to stay calm and focused just think about the task ahead and don't loose your cool during the fight and above all else enjoy it aswel , train your nuts off so regardless of the out come u can stand thete n say I gave it my all .

Oh and no more kebabs lol

Aup mate I was an amature boxer for 3 n half years had 4 fights and lost 1 as I felt I was unevenly matched with my last fight but hey shit happens best advise I can give you mate is just keep your nerve it's a very scary thing knowing your gunna knock lumps out of eatchother for the next 6 mins haha and don't go all out in the first round my first fight the lad come out like a bull in a china shop tried to down me straight away and faild then he was fucked so gave me a chance to pummle him lol just don't worry about your friends and family just keep focused on what you have to do inside the ring if you think about all those people watching you it will be a lot harder for you to concentrate and when your in the ring you can here everything people are saying about you so block that out aswell good luck dude :)

Cheers for the info, I've heard a lot of mixed things about staying focused or just going mad, each to there own I suppose, the type of person I am I think I will be much better staying calm and keeping my cool, I'm definitely going to enjoy it, always thought fro starting mma I would like to do a least 1 contest.

Oh and no more kebabs lol

You are joking?

As above my mate was a mma fighter and even fought for a english team in europe, its all about training the longer you can last the better you will be, and as above conserve your first round to get a feel of what your up against and scope out their weakspots as some people are brawlers and some will try and take you down technically, once you have worked out what they are most likely to do in the next rounds use that to your advantage and remember to always be on guard, and good luck

Dedication,

I put 2-4 training days in when I was studying karate and became national champion by the age of 14 then having to give it up at 16 because of a tumour in my knee.

Eat clean train a lot

I do however disagree with MMA it takes the technique out of martial arts and always seems to me to be more of an organised well planned pub brawl, don't get me wrong the training is brutal and needs dedication and guts to actually step in the ring/cage so good on you and good luck.

Cheers lads I wasn't sure about the first round but I like the idea of just feeling them out for the first round and using it to my advantage, awesome advice thanks very much

Let him do all the work watch for the mistakes he makes regularly, on your first fight everything will happen extremely quick just need to keep breathing deep and relax if you can and try not to give him any excuse to close you down

Yeah that's what I thought but I think people will be nervous as it's everyone's first fight so they will be happy to take it to the ground, I'm 8.5% body fat and do quite a lot of weights, by no means am I big but mega lean and would like to stay this way to have the advantage, will post pics of the fight and stuff

As above mate don't go in all guns blazing,

Use the first round to find his flaws / bad habits then in the second round work on the bits you picked up on which in turn would tire him out and demotivate him as your picking his weak spots and then there's the third round .......... We all know what to do here :D

That's just my thoughts mate, I use to train in kicking boxing and that's what I was always taught :)

James

Feeling him out is essential. Stay calm and focused, keeping your cool is the best way to stay in the game.

Steady breathing, feel him out and try to bring him to you.

I spent 3 years competing kickboxing and my friends brother is an internationally renowned British UFC fighter, I asked him for advice and all I got was: hit him hard and keep your breathing steady.

Cheers for all the info lads, you don't find out who your opponent is until the week before at the weigh ins, but it will be one of the people you have been training with that signed up to the programme, so training with these people will hopefully help find their flaws already

just watch chuck lidell over and over

best striker

best takedown defence

sure you would learn a thing or two

favourite fighter off all times

He is a very good fighter, I'll check out some videos mate!