Basically, My gearbox seems to whine alot at low speed you can hear it whineing away.. Also sometimes when accelerating. I suppose its noticeable in low gears 1,2,3 in 4th/5th you cannot really hear it screaming for mercy.

Also, if im idling there is a metal on metal sound. At first i thought TD had blown my engine, but when you depress the clutch and lift the revs its perfect. Disengage it and the sound returns?

To note, when i removed it to put my 6puk in, Inside the clutch chamber it was extremely black and oilly my mechanic said thats not a good sign, but i had no choice but to carry on as i needed the car to commute.

Does it look like a new box job?

Do you have poly bush engine mounts. if you do that will make it wine like a bitch mine dose loads as for metal on meal sound could it not be the release bearing. heard the ones that come with the clutch arnt the best.

I have used the release bearing supplied. Didn't know they were pony until after!

Its on standard engine mounts, Its faultless other than whiney, and a dodgey noise! But, it was leaking inside quite badly..?

Oil inside the clutch housing is when the rear crank seal has failed, this pisses oil all over the clutch and causes it to slip.

The metallic noise sounds like a release bearing noise.

How new is the gearbox oil and do you have a LSD ?

Oil inside the clutch housing is when the rear crank seal has failed, this pisses oil all over the clutch and causes it to slip.

The metallic noise sounds like a release bearing noise.

How new is the gearbox oil and do you have a LSD ?

I Have 2L of gearbox oil.. which i havent bothered putting in yet as i suspected the thing was a goner.

I havent changed it in the 6 months of ownership.

Non-LSD C56 both or whatever i think.

Rear crank seal.. hm, How can i go about checking this? THe mechanic suspected it was leaking through the bell housing, or the driveshaft seal.. but couldn;t work out how it had entered the chamber unless it had leaked internally?

I need to check that crank seal. How severe is that?

The only way to do the rear crank seal is to remove the box, these engines are pretty bad for leaky crank seals so it'll most likely be that. Can be severe in the way of causing premature wear on a brand new expensive clutch.

If you can select all gears at speed id say the box is fine, the syncros normally go first, could try changing the oil and see if it sorts the noise out but i suspect the release bearing is making the noise, any non Toyota OEM bearing is shite.

The only way to do the rear crank seal is to remove the box, these engines are pretty bad for leaky crank seals so it'll most likely be that. Can be severe in the way of causing premature wear on a brand new expensive clutch.

If you can select all gears at speed id say the box is fine, the syncros normally go first, could try changing the oil and see if it sorts the noise out but i suspect the release bearing is making the noise, any non Toyota OEM bearing is shite.

Thats good to know. I might do that Sunday and see if it helps!

Can i see if the crank shaft is leaking WITHOUT box out? Just to see, if it is ill do the job!

Standard release bearing noise and reaaaaly hard to get in gear sometimes.

I got gear problems and in reverse and sometimes when in lower gears I hear a screeching noise do you reckon it's bearing on mine? And what bearing did you put back in