• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I showed up at work last weekend to replaced my rear main (about time!), only to find I wouldn't have enough time, and no hoist to work on it. :angry2:
But as I was talking with the guy who's gonna make my extractors, I would need a flange and if I sourced it myself it would be much cheaper than him having one laser cut. So I made a first stop to the scrapyard, scored a 11mm thick plate big enough to do either a one piece flange or in halves like the stock one.
Later on, I went to Harry's (Staret) to pick up the stock manifold from his N/A engine, really a nice one he got there, just a shame the FTE block has a hole in it...
DSC06333.jpg
I will reuse the stock manifold flange for the extractor, already agreed with the fabricator that he'd get my 4E to work on, so half flanges will still be straight, no worries. I'm in talk now about having him do my S/C bracket, my bar bending and lack of equipment isn't really working out...

Bodywise, I finished removing the chrome rings on the driver's tail light, sanded it all and did a first coat of primer. Did a coat on my front bumper as well, mostly to even out the colors and see the defects before sanding and filling.
DSC06334.jpg

Good news is I'll be ready for the seal Saturday. I'll have the hoist and the time. The car will most likely be on the hoist Friday night, likely without front wheels :) ready for gearbox extraction in the morning.
I also received silcone couplings, BOV and a new headunit.

Cheap ebay brand name replica BOV turned out to be a real HKS SSQV. I might have bought stolen property :unknw:

Edited by FMuscle

MY CAR IS BACK HOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally. Got the rear main replaced, did most of it Saturday, finished before work on Monday morning. Started it, Rev'd it... the welds on the muffler inlet gave up................................................................ -_- I guess the many removals/hanging/reinstall of the exhaust pipe were too much for a 18 years old exhaust.

So tonight before leaving, I brought both Starlets in the workshop and swapped the boxes. Good news is I also received my new flex pipe, Cat converter and back box. I'll be dropping my 4E, Harry's manifold and the supercharger to TJM next weekend, so a new exhaust won't take too long to be fitted.

Got a sweet sweet deal this week. A coworker's friend got a 1999 Suzuki Baleno for free for her son to learn to drive with. I had to do an inspection on it to make sure it was road worthy, long story short it wasn't. I was told that she'd get rid of the car so I said I was interested in some parts.
So $50 later, I'm the owner of a now unregistered Baleno rocking 4 (maybe even 5) of these:
nengun-187452-00-unknown-line_speed_-_sp

(NOT my pic)

and I'll get $80 back for the car at the wreckers... :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is it just me or that picture is beautiful?
10995494_10205584600806166_3828889278895

The Baleno is gone, I kept the speedlines and still made a 300% profit on the car...
11102966_10205584599886143_9219919210525

11146267_10205584600086148_7257003598708

10314554_10205584601526184_1184526512078

I couldn't find replacement center caps in the proper size, so I ordered TRD ones on eBay, along with black steel closed end lug nuts.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi there Starlet people.

It's been a while. Life happened. Changed jobs, changed house, lost interest, lost my grand-mother...

I'm getting back on it though. I've been driving the 5E in its NA form for just over a year, about 375 days to be exact (I didn't actually checked, I'm guestimating) and it drives nicely. I have minor problems with it, mostly oil not staying in the engine.

I'm saving up at the moment to buy another car to use as a daily, my plan now is to rebuild the 5E in the EP's original block (original engine number) and replace all the seals and gasket by genuine ones, thing I didn't do last time and it came right back to bite me.

AND to fit the blower. I have almost all I need, so no excuses. This time off working on it let me think of the plan of attack, the throttle body will sit between the pod and the supercharger. After compression, the air will flow through the IC, then directly into the engine.

Something else I wish to do is a complete rewire of the car. With the dash mods, the carat taillights, the glanza plate surround, the hid projectors, and all the other electrical alterations, there are spaghetti incidents everywhere. Battery relocation possible, pending measurements.

I also want to do something about the poor disc handbrake, like hiding a master cylinder under the console behind the stock lever. Sleeper style.

I want advice too. I'm considering removing the heater from the car (I'm in Australia, cold morning in winter is 10 Celcius). The A/C is already completely removed. I would just keep the blower for a bit of wind to the windscreen or the face when needed.
Yay or Nay?

welcome back mate and keep strong

you cant fit the 5e stuff in the 4e block unless you get it machined to fit in ( crank ) and you will need custom short rods to

i would fit tb before the charger filter >> tb>> charger>> intake ???

removing heater atogether is an isseu for your local mot/nct whats legal or not in oz ??

you cant fit the 5e stuff in the 4e block unless you get it machined to fit in ( crank ) and you will need custom short rods to

Well, that's out of the window, thanks! Still have to open it, I want to replace at least rings and valve seals, depending on how they look, maybe the bearings... I took a chance with the valve seals and I'm burning oil...

i would fit tb before the charger filter >> tb>> charger>> intake ???

That's what I'm doing. the only problem I have doing this is the very short distance between the pod in the upper grille and the SC14 at the A/C location. I need to fit TB, then a pipe for a bypass in that short length before the blower.

removing heater atogether is an isseu for your local mot/nct whats legal or not in oz ??

Considering my car isn't technically legal as it is, I don't think this would matter much. My main concern if I have to go for an inspection would be the engine number. But I have another idea for that, when the engine is out again.

• 6 months later...

Hello again, 6 months later, I think I finally have a good grip on life, I got myself a new daily driver so I can actually work on this SC14...

IMG_7977.jpg

I just need to save a bit. The plan is done, I know the what and where of almost everything, I have most of the parts and I know where to get the rest of them.

@NewbieLewby You're actually the first one I hear mentioning an overheating Minor, and I've been around the forums a bit since I got it 6 weeks ago.

Colin, I can't do that. If I start modding it, I'll never get around to fit my SC14. I bought is as a daily driver, I need to stick to that... I'm fitting new ignition, alternator, water pump, wiring and lights on it, then the P9 gets stripped..

• 2 weeks later...

I finally "fixed" a factory "defect" that bugged me for a while now. That rear wiper...

Don't get me wrong, I love my rear wiper. I use it more than the front ones. I would never remove it...

I inverted the direction of travel. Having a spare (Starlet), I figured a failure wouldn't hurt. I thought about inverting the motor's polarity, but that would only work if it was A. direct drive and B. not grounded by its bracket.
So I opened the unit (4 screws, 3 circlips) and freed the gears and arms. I looked at the contact for the park switch, the way it is molded in the main gear makes it complicated to change its position.

The next best thing was the main gear's pivot bracket. I ground out the shaft's punched out head to free it by levering it off. Then a simple 180 of the bracket on the plastic gear, a bit of grease and pressure to push the bracket back onto the shaft (a tack weld would be a great addition, but I don't have a welder) and it is now reassembled, fitted, tested and working.

The result is a cleaner rear wiper, resting horizontally on the left bottom side instead of standing in the middle of the rear screen.

(pics/vid to come)

Well done, clever :) I use RainX in every car, summertime at summercar don't have even wiper arms at all, MR2 has survived over ten years without, it has one arm wiper system front and only for mot, glass is like new.

• 4 weeks later...

Getting a bit sick of the chrome wooden wheel that I salvaged from the paseo 2 years ago... So, in respect to not get the rice look, this happened.

IMG_8155.jpg

Other than that, things are moving slowly, gathering a few parts for the head/piston job to come. Getting antsy to fit that front mount though :p