5E series conrods.

I just want to know the differences between 1st gen, 2nd gen and FHE rods. I never had one of each in hand and I read different specs everywhere on the interweb...

What I have now is a 1st Gen FE. It is mostly agreed that 2nd Gen is weaker. Some say FHE are stronger, some say they're the same as 1st Gen....

And if one was to gauge strenght based on pressure (Boost), which one would be the stongest?

Found this pic, but it doesn't mention which 5E-FE gen it is...
ankhsh.jpg

315ju4j.jpg

Edited by FMuscle

This topic is highly controversial. The picture you posted is only one of a pair. The fhe rods are thicker front to rear(of the engine not the car) and thinner exhaust to intake. In my opinion, because of how the rods rotate on the crankshaft, the forces acting upon the crank would indicate that a wider rod (exhaust to intake) would withstand more strain, while a narrower rod front to rear of engine will be more "aerodynamic". Regardless, bad fuel/poor or no tuning causing detonation will destroy any rod. I recently built my engine using 5efe dis rods because i believe yamaha/toyota wouldn't step backwards in their parts design or construction. My pc is down, would be nice if you could source and post the 2nd picture to match the one you posted. :)

Found and added the pic to 1st post.

So 1st gen and FHE are definetly not the same? Damn Wiki, letting me down... LOL I just replaced the pulley on my SC14 to push 10.5 Psi (sorry, I don't get that bar s*t yet, I just learnt how to use kilowatts so bare with me, bar is next :wacko:), so I want to make sure that the rods can take it. I read somewhere that the stock 5E internals can take up to 12Psi, but again no mention of which 5E.

The 3e, 1st gen 5e, and fhe rods all look the same. The 5efe rods in that pic are the dis rods. Same ones im using. The width in the 2nd picture now shows how the fhe rods are skinnier than the dis rods, in my opinion where it counts the most.

Edited by Sudden

This topic is highly controversial. The picture you posted is only one of a pair. The fhe rods are thicker front to rear(of the engine not the car) and thinner exhaust to intake. In my opinion, because of how the rods rotate on the crankshaft, the forces acting upon the crank would indicate that a wider rod (exhaust to intake) would withstand more strain, while a narrower rod front to rear of engine will be more "aerodynamic". Regardless, bad fuel/poor or no tuning causing detonation will destroy any rod. I recently built my engine using 5efe dis rods because i believe yamaha/toyota wouldn't step backwards in their parts design or construction. My pc is down, would be nice if you could source and post the 2nd picture to match the one you posted. :)

5efhe rod is thicker on front to back as left to right atleast the 1s from the cynos b are so

Photo0122_zps8958d69b.jpg

Photo0121_zps6d8925d3.jpg

also i think the suposed to be 5efe rod in pic 2 is not a 5efe rod !!!!

Edited by 5e colin
  • 2 weeks later...