BLOWN ENGINE...Thanks for helping me out (read more inside)

Well guys as some will have noticed, id be building and tidying a GT for a while now.

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/71206-ep82-gt-ccm-demo-take-2/

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?107657-EP82-GT-CCM-Demo-TAKE-2

But on tuesday night just past... i finally got the engine running some proper boost and the rattley forged lump finally gave way.

So first up im near ready to split the car up into parts.... But just out of interest i asked if browner (conor@Epperformace) can help me out.

Browner is someone who i heard of back a few years when spuddy mentioned the number of starlets and parts that pass through his hands. we are talking maybe 5 years ago? back in Spuddy/vs/animalgt times, just before the PukkaPerformance debacle.

anyways considering ive never met Conor and have only threatened to buy parts of him in the past, he still came to an arrangement that suits me now and in a week or two will meet his needs also.

Top fella from my experience.

so that's some PISTONS sorted.

Then i need some headbolts, happened across Abbie in the UKSO forsale section, free postage and boom sorted. Many thanks.

Then HOOKIE fella local ish to me is making me a deal on crank/block/head etc Have to go down and see him and have a look at what he might have for me, but its great to have proper starlet heads about who actually want to help.

Even _shaun_ has offered me some parts that could have been a help to me.

Over the years, Jay Chris Ted Weejohn and others have helped me out big style, (and many times they still do) but its very nice to see that the good will stretches out beyond these pillars of the starlet community. Many thanks to you all.

So far im getting closer and closer to getting this engine back together.

I still need

Forged rods

Bearings OEM or ACL hopefully stock sizes!

Engine gasket kit (or most of one?)

valve stem oil seals/crankshaft sealsx2 would maybe do.

is there other seals i really need to replace?

anyone with any of the above or some gaskets kicking about the place please make me aware.

Phil

Edited by Philm

Nice to see people still jump at the chance to help each other these days :D

Its the only way this car lives on at this stage!

Hookie has been very helpful with a block and crank in a good deal, wouldnt be getting this done without him going beyond the call of duty on this one.

Phil

i would do pumps etc etc to now your doing a ground up rebuild phil dont skimp out now

its about 20e for each bearing half in toyota

im skimping not pimping :)

Lol

nah ill make sure its a good engine going back together dont worry :)

Phil

well pulled the engine out on friday and dropped it to my mates today for a look and then strip.

some pics of the process

66FF3FC9-0C64-47E7-B9EF-DFB58877E384.jpg

engine in ^^

250F129C-909F-49B1-92D5-37038D346A38.jpg

21835F80-FC9E-46DC-AA03-236D9D90D517.jpg

engine out ^^

And the problem piston, blown clean through...

334ABB14-46FA-43B8-9090-277BDCC574C8_1.j

bit off head scratching to be done with this one im afraid.

and some new pistons thanks Browner.

CB9541B0-AAF5-44D6-8750-1F2343BDDF95.jpg

Phil

Edited by Philm

Wow looks very similar to what happened to one of my pistons few years back.

was running slightly lean and melted a piston all the way through, no other damage though as the alloy that was missing was vapourised !!! Lol

best of luck with the build mate.

Wow looks very similar to what happened to one of my pistons few years back.

was running slightly lean and melted a piston all the way through, no other damage though as the alloy that was missing was vapourised !!! Lol

best of luck with the build mate.

I can think of a few possibilities, one poor injector being one BUT still I've never seen a forged piston so done in, stock ones yes, CP/JE/ROSS/wiesco/SPS never even heard of a 4e burning a forged piston through. Whatever was wrong must have been wrong for quite some time I think.

Phil