Amplifer nerds needed! Noob needs help

Posted ImagePosted Image

I need some advice for my new amp.

I only plan to run two speakers in the rear but not sure the right way to hook up the speakers.

its a 4 channel but as you can say it says front and rear I wish to use all the channels to power the rear.

So what are my options please.

Also you can see I have lots of options on the top. Anyone want to give me some pointers to whats what.

Posted Image

Thanks guys

If you're powering rear speakers then the simplest option is to just use the RCA inputs and the speaker wire outputs on the "right hand side" of that amp as you are looking at it on the picture.

It looks like you can bridge this amp in a couple of different ways but to keep it simple that's your easiest option. (What are you doing with your front speakers?)

As for the settings, you've got "level" which is also known as "gain", you can google the proper way to set this.

I don't know what "direct" does so would probably leave it off for now.

Low boost will just boost low frequencies (bass) and is best left alone, especially if using normal mid range speakers.

The filter depends on what type of speakers you are running. Presuming you already have a sub to cover the bass, and you are just running a pair of standard speakers here, then set the filter to HPF and 100Hz or higher. This will block any frequency below 100Hz so will block your speakers from trying to play low frequencies which your sub should be taking care off (and vice versa if you are running a sub from this amp then set the filter to LPF 100Hz and block frequencies above 100Hz so the sub only plays bass like it is designed to do).

What's the rest of the system like? What are you doing with your front speakers, are they amped? Do you have a sub?

Edited by ste91

Front speakers are ran via the headunit.

No sub not gonna get one either. The speakers are the jdm parcel shelf ones like so

ubu9asy6.jpg

yeah was gonna rca cable to the amp but my main concern is the speaker wiring.

I need to find a way to bridge the front and rear channels. Because if you look theres a way to put one speaker on each channel but need to know how to bridge the channels.

Thought you had to wire the channels up with speaker wire? Or something like that

Edited by amatthews45

I can't work out if you're supposed to wire it so that front becomes left and rear becomes right or vice versa, because it shows on there that you can bridge the front and bridge the rear but it doesn't show how to bridge left & right which is what you're aiming to do.

Don't wire the channels with any extra speaker wire other than the two wires you get for each speaker, it shows you on the amp where to put the positive and negative.

RCA output from head unit would go to the RCA in on the right. Speaker outputs on the right then go to the two speakers. The bridging thing is for if you've got one speaker in the back (or front), so you get both channels through the one speaker. Suppose you could hook up some kind of 7.1 surround if you wanted.

Why not use it for the fronts as well? Bit of extra work, to be sure, but the sound quality would be so much better.

You do not need to bridge the front and rear outputs to make them a left and a right that's pointless.

These little Jdm parcel shelve speakers do not need that amount of power as they are quite efficient. Just simply attach your rca inputs into the left and the right rear and then your speaker outputs for the rear straight to the speakers.

Next option is to get an rca splitter cable to effectively make the two rca cables into four and run a sub in bridged mono off of the front output.

RCA output from head unit would go to the RCA in on the right. Speaker outputs on the right then go to the two speakers. The bridging thing is for if you've got one speaker in the back (or front), so you get both channels through the one speaker. Suppose you could hook up some kind of 7.1 surround if you wanted.

Why not use it for the fronts as well? Bit of extra work, to be sure, but the sound quality would be so much better.

That's what I already said, but that's where it gets confusing as this amp allows you to bridge one front speaker and one rear speaker whereas usually you'd bridge speakers for left/right not front/rear.

Amping the fronts would be good too depending on what they are, personally I would rip the lot out and start again as Starlets are an awful starting point for a good sound system. You'd be better off making some door pods so you could use 6.5" or at least 5.25" speakers instead of the 4" that sit under the dashboard and then either a small sub in the boot or an under-seat one, and not bother with those parcel shelf speakers.

Edited by ste91

I am keeping it oem+ with the items I got. So far got jdm stereo, a retro jdm amp, jdm speakers and also hooking up a jukebox to have 80GB worth of songs connected to the headunit.

The amp going under the passenger front seat to keep the boot free and tidy.

If I was to mange to pick up the rare speaker door pods I would amp up front speakers. But as it stands the fronts are fine off the headunit :D

Wire the amp as mentioned before then, just the rear channels, don't worry about bridging.

For the settings, set the "level" fairly low (google how to set gain), set the filter to HPF/100Hz, turn the "low boost" right down as a starting point and then play around with it until you get it how you want it to sound. You wont ever get any low bass from these speakers so consider a small sub that wont require a lot of power, you still have spare channels on your amp so it wouldn't be any effort to wire it up.

Cheers guys!

Will start wiring it in shortly bought some decent speaker wires but think there gonna be too short will see soon enough.

Theres no room for a sub in the car really.

Got the amp under one seat and the jukebox under the other and the CD changer in the boot along with cleaning gear ect.

wasnt going to get a amp till I found out the jdm headunit doesnt take the rear speaker plug hahs.

Posted Image

You can buy some really small subs these days so the option is always there, have a look at the JL Microsubs (not cheap though) and I think Pioneer sell one that is designed to fit where the spare wheel goes. See how you get on with it for now but if you do eventually want a sub then look for a 8 or 10 inch in a sealed enclosure.

I only say this because in my car I was determined not to use a sub, but eventually I had to give in and buy one lol, it is definitely worth it, avoid cheap subs in ported enclosures though they sound awful.

you could run it bridged easily enough , buy treating it as 2 mono amps and running the left rca into the front amp and the right rca into the rear amp

then connecting your speakers as shown for the mono connection

Yea he could but what's the point in putting all that power through those little speakers ? None

If it were me id just use the rear output as a left and right and leave the fronts blank. The oem amps arent very big so prob lowish wattage and i doubt them speakers are very high wattage either so wouldnt want to blow them.

As for setting it up id start with it all down low or in some cases in the middle setting, again as not to damage the speakers.

If you were good with wiring i would say I've got an optional amp here but its a spaghetti of wires that i have no idea what wire does what lol

Posted ImagePosted Image

Everything all fitted.

Very steathly also

Just wired into the rear speaker ports sounds good enough for me so I am very happy.

There is only 1 thing I did wrong I thought I planned it well and got it spot on but the amp facing wrong way makinf adjustments a pain in the arse

But oh well.

Next I got to wire in my jukebox that will be fun