I will own a Glanza this time next year...

Hi Guys & Girls,

My Names Nath, 27 from Rugeley. Currently drive a Fabia VRS. Getting bored of this now and need something a bit more fun, so I started to look at Glanza's and fell in love with one on PistonHeads (1.3 - 239bhp) but unfortunately I am not in the right mind to buy one yet got to pay the Fabia off. So I thought I'd sign up now to get a few hints and tips on what too look out for, one of my mates have said make sure the turbo isn't wound up, yes it can be un-wound but depends how long it's been fully wound there can be problems and will be costly. As current/previous owners is there any pointers that you could share with me on what else to look out for?

hi mate

welcome to the forum, im new as well looking to buy one hopefully soon, been to see a few but not found the right one yet. Things to look out for is like white/blue smoke that show signs of turbo on its way out, do a compression test so take one with you, check for oil leaks, seals and cracks around manifold and the head, check for rust etc. Usual checks you do when looking at a car. Also make sure car has some sort of service history that's quite important.

:thumbsup:

Welcome to UKSO matey. Everyone here is pretty awesome, full of advice and always willing to help. Best forum i've been on yet!

You'll not regret going to a Glanza! I love mine and they're so underestimated and pretty uncommon so always get looks! :)

As above pretty much. Take someone with you! I took my best friend who is also a mechanic I let the person take him out in it to see what he thought and then told me to check for blue/white smoke when boosting as that would be turbo failure. Just do the usual checks rust, tread on tires, water, oil always handy to check the mot sheet too and see if there was any advisories on it and make sure they were sorted. :)

Bret.

Welcome in!! I used to have a slighted modded vrs...remapped coilovers etc. Pretty capable cars in the right hands, and cost peanuts to run :). Have you got any pics of yours?

The fabia is a lot more well made/refined than the Glanza, but the Glanza will be a hell of a lot more fun to drive.

Tremendous fun these starlets, worst part of owning a gt or glanza is that you get endlessly asked if its a micra or a golf with morettes lol. good luck with the purchase and welcome along!

Many thanks for the welcome, seems like a good/honest friendly site with helpful members so always a positive start.

I've got the MKii Fabia VRS (T16 NJP) so how did you come across it BJShipley?

As for the Micra/Golf comments I'm hoping that I don't get none :D

Got a question, what are these letters/numbers I see at the start of posts: EP82/TD04?

EP** is the chasis code ie EP82 is a GT turbo and EP91 is a glanza (or UK N/A) EP70 is the old boxy UK spec N/A and EP71 is the boxy turbo

CT9, TD04 TD05 etc are different turbos. CT9 is the standard turbo for a starlet and TD04 is a subaru/mitsubishi turbo that people use as an upgrade for more power.

4EFTE is the turbo engine 4EFE is a non-turbo engine.