Best standalone?

im thinking of using a dta s60 or a motec or something along that lines. Wondering what people have used and what you would recommend. i need something that can be used with the standard loom and also be used for when i convert it to coils.

I'm using ems stinger AUS Ecu.

I just meant that there will still be the tops Ecus that really will be abit much for a starleteers' budget.

HKS

Haltech

Link

Would be my big 3.

Omex

Emerald

AEM

Not far off

Then best functionally for price

EMS stinger

Wolf

Megasquirt

That's without even talking about the uber dollar gear.

Phil

Edited by Phil

For me if i needed it emerald or megasquirt purely for the fact, emerald are build by a guy in my town so problem solving is easy its less than a 1 mile trip.

Theres a guy in norwich who builds megasquirts to your spec so also very local and repairs or addons are very easily done.

But thats just me.

Depends on a couple of things.

1- Who's going to map it

2 - The functions and controlability you want

3. The cost

4- Your spec

The best ECU's are :

Pectel

Syvecs

Motec

KMS

However you will be looking at £2000 + just for the ECU alone.

For a Starlet I would say something like Haltech, Link, DTA for those on a bit of a budget and are easily programmable. The Haltech is very user friendly.

Edited by AdamB

I love the Syvecs unit it has some amazing features and the control is second to none. However you do have to argue whether any of it will be needed which is its only shortfall, however only you can your chosen mapper can decide that.

yeah thats my thoughts exactly. i dont want to waste money on a ecu that has features i will never use. Mainly i want flat foot shifting launch control and anti lag. even more so i want an ecu thats capable of letting me know if something has failed ie injectors or fuel pump0

That's where the Syvecs comes into its own. You can hook up all your sensors and for example if the fuel pump is failing and your AFR is lean it wil shut cylinders down until it stabilizes rather than just shutting the engine down completely leaving you stuck stranded somewhere.

The Haltech also has some pretty good safety features as well, I think you can have upto 4 safety inputs if I remember correctly from the last time I used one.

But yeah your on the right lines, no point wasting money on something your never going to make use of. Why do you want those specific features? Just for some noise?

It all depends on who is going to install and tune it - have a chat to them and find out what they are confident with.

Personally I've setup Link/Vipec, Microtech, Haltech, Wold3D, Megasquirt and Autronic. Also played with a Motec although havent wired one in yet. All are more than capable however I prefer the Link G4+ units as they're so user friendly and quick to setup/tune. Local support for the ecu is also something you should consider. No point going for an ecu you can't call up the maker and get some tech advise if you need it. If your going down the Megasquirt route make sure you understand VR inputs in my experience they're a bit hit and miss and quite often need high levels of trigger filtering. Capable ecu's for the price however.