So my '98 sr has been down on power, but seemed to be ok again the past few days.
For a week or two, white smoke has been coming out if I change down gear and then accelerate again, or if I slow down in fifth and then accelerate again. Sometimes just little puffs, sometimes loads of it. But it's not that thick.

Also it's gone through half its oil in a week, filled it last monday and checked it there and it's about half gone. And I've started to notice the smoke turning a little blue, so obviously the engine is using oil.

But compression was 200/205 across the board so really good. Coolant levels seem ok so I think the head gasket is ok too.

Anyone ever had a similar problem? I'm trying to source a new engine anyway but is mine complete scrap or does she have a chance?

Secured a new engine for next to nothing, going to collect it on saturday, 68k on it as well.
Will be taking this one out and rebuilding it completely, with a few added extras, over the next year, so when I turn 21 and can afford the insurance, it's ready to go in.
So will find out whats wrong then when we strip it all down.

thanks for the input anyway guys!

Pcv valve wont cause the extra oil to be burnt at all.

maybe in a turbo but wouldnt have thought an n/a.

For the evidence of valve stem seals undo the exhaust manifold and look into and inspect the exhaust ports.

the valve stem seals can be done witht the engine in situ and head doesnt have to come of.

did mine a few months back and did the rope method and it was very successful.

don't think its valve stem seals as it doesn't puff smoke out when I turn it over, only when its warm and I accelerate after 10/15 minutes of driving.

gonna take the whole thing apart anyway and will investigate what it is, so long as the new engine runs smoothly.